✅ SOLVED Looks hand drilled to me. Any ideas?

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00737.JPG
DSC00740.JPG
DSC00738.JPG
DSC00741.JPG

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a legit find to me. I have found points in creeks that look like they were just made with fresh fractures but I know Im the only one allowed in the creek and I didnt make it. Water can do some amazing things like polish and stain but sometimes the stain doesnt show. Id be proud to find something like that. Just not much drilled things where I look, its a beauty

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
It's a great piece. You found it. That tells the whole story. The weathering and water makes it look smooth and clean. It' the real deal. I don't think those holes were drilled with a modern bit. A common modern drill bit will not drill a hole in a rock. It takes a carbide masonry bit, which come in 1/16"-1/8" graduated sizes.

Slate is very soft material. Natives drilled it for thousands of years without carbide bits.

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I would never have guessed what it was.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a bucket list find for a lot of people I would be ecstatic to have found that.

You got dat right! I've only found a couple of small fragments through the many years.

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading about these since you guys said what it was. I see why people question whether it was real or newly made. I see one on ebay by a guy that has a bunch of them , cheep... What BS
This one will not be for sale and is going to have a honored place in my collection, witch was mostly collected by my father. I have maybe 20 points. Thanks again for the comments.

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slate is soft enough to be drilled with a common hss drill bit made for metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread