Please help identify,Dovetail,St, Charles, corner notch archaic?

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007

Attachments

• Picture 42.jpg
    Picture 42.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 483
  • Picture 43.jpg
    Picture 43.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 489
Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
pickaway said:
Typology can be bewildering.
Corner notch the base seems small for that.
im gonna guess fractured or unfractured base point early archaic just my guess. good luck that is a pretty peice.
Thanks pick. I thought the base was a little small too.The pic does not do it justice.Just a cheap web cam.I wish it was mine,I was nervous bringing it home to post on here. Jeff

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohriverhunter,

That piece is one of the "Indian" made repros that is made from a weird material. They almost all look exactly like that one. I can point you to many of them on ebay.
On a different note, I live in Cincinnati. Do we know each other?
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
Nice point Jeff. I cant believe I was baited to this guys web site. Here in Arkansas we would get a short rope and a tall tree.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohriverhunter,
Sorry to offend you, but I was only trying to help. The arrowhead is made of what some people "fancy japser", others call it South American Jasper. Almost all the points are made with the same "fantasy" basal configuration as the one you show. They workmanship bears no resemblance to any of the archaic notched types, and the bases are not ground. Here are some quick examples from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300154922488&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARROWHEADS-2-1-...oryZ4715QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...tToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

This is not the first time that someone's buddy made up a story with a gift. Does it make you a liar? - No. Does it make your friend a liar?- No. It probably doesn't even make your friends buddy a liar, but the fact remains that the piece is an obvious reproduction. I debated whether to even post in the first place, b/c people take everything as a personal afront. I guess I learned my lesson.

To Christ_in_you, You seem like a very good Christain. Good luck with that.

Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Jon please don`t let this keep you from posting, I for one value your expertise and want to see more of it. You presented your opinion very well and others will now be on the look out for these items. It is what it is no matter how it ended up at Ohio`s place. I think all involved should take this as a learning experience and move on.

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon Ohioriver....

Please don't be offended at Jon's comments. If he had not said it, I would have. In recent years I have seen these type points by the thousands. I will photo some I purchased to use in craft work so you can see what we are talking about. The material used ranges from purple to green to grey and a mixture of all three. I think they are made in India or Pakistan.

I have been at this for 35+ years. Never say never in this business. You know the source of the point and if it came from a riverbank, that lends strength to it being original. But what was said about the fakes is also true. I purchased many from the catalog....Eloxite...a rock and jewelry catalog...for 50 cents each or less....seems ebay is profiteering.

Don't be offended at opinions you get from others....if you know better, shrug it off....if not you might learn something from those not "timid" about voicing an opinion..positive or negative. This forum is a place to learn and grow...many years of experience reside here and its free for the asking.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Here are a couple of photos of the repro points we are talking about....I bought these from Eloxite a couple of years back...they come in many sizes and colors.

Atlantis

Attachments

• repros 001.jpg
    repros 001.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 262
  • repros 002.jpg
    repros 002.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 262
  • repros 003.jpg
    repros 003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 267

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Jeff,

I have hunted Eagle Creek many, many times. Send me a private email and I'll direct you to the good spot. [email protected] . Most everything found at that spot is Fort Ancient, but I do have a friend who found a large Big Sandy(Archaic). I have a map that I made over the years that shows about 75 river bank sites from East of Coney Island in Cincinnati to just West of Portsmouth. Both sides of the river.

I apologize for my posts. I should have explained better from the start. I am an avid field hunter and buyer/seller/trader. Once you have been in the "game" of trading for a while, you become very jaded. The problem is the age old one of supply and demand. The demand for good old arrowheads far outweighs the supply and people take advantage of this. As for my knowledge about real/fake/mineralization/form/function: I realized a long time ago that noone is right all the time, but how you deal with your mistakes, makes your reputation. I run a yearly artifact show in Ripley, Ohio. This year our date is February 17th. You should attend. I'll try to post some items I have found over the years for everyone to see.

Pickaway- What is your name and what artifact did I sell you?

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
pointdlr said:
Jeff,

I have hunted Eagle Creek many, many times. Send me a private email and I'll direct you to the good spot. [email protected] . Most everything found at that spot is Fort Ancient, but I do have a friend who found a large Big Sandy(Archaic). I have a map that I made over the years that shows about 75 river bank sites from East of Coney Island in Cincinnati to just West of Portsmouth. Both sides of the river.

I apologize for my posts. I should have explained better from the start. I am an avid field hunter and buyer/seller/trader. Once you have been in the "game" of trading for a while, you become very jaded. The problem is the age old one of supply and demand. The demand for good old arrowheads far outweighs the supply and people take advantage of this. As for my knowledge about real/fake/mineralization/form/function: I realized a long time ago that noone is right all the time, but how you deal with your mistakes, makes your reputation. I run a yearly artifact show in Ripley, Ohio. This year our date is February 17th. You should attend. I'll try to post some items I have found over the years for everyone to see.

Pickaway- What is your name and what artifact did I sell you?
I really appreciate that Jon. Maybe we have met. I,ve been to your show,Ripley High School right?I bought some display case,s at one of your shows. You have an excellent line of collectors there. I talked to many. you could have been one. I did get a book autographed there several years ago by Donald Shuck who has found some pretty nice stuff along Eagle creek.

Thanks see ya in Febuary, if the good God willing Jeff

P

pickaway

Jon, i bought a small discoidial with a carving on one side,You were going to look at a blade i bought from fred down around bournville.

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Atlantis0077 said:
Morning,

Here are a couple of photos of the repro points we are talking about....I bought these from Eloxite a couple of years back...they come in many sizes and colors.

Atlantis
Well as bad as I hate to agree,i,m beginning to smell a fishy story and I found out a bullshit story on t net. Those do look like the one I posted. I,m not posting anyones else stuff again. kind of made me look like a fool on here when everything I own I found. I don,t buy ,trade or sell.
Jeff

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Ohio- Don't get too worked up over it buddy, it's not a big deal, "stuff" happens. I don't think it made you look like a fool, you just posted something for somebody and it didn't turn out as hoped. I think it was actually good for people to see, so many fakes out there these a days that it sucks, nobody wants to find out that they have one of them but it does happen. Best off to do what you do and find 'em yourself, no questions then.
Peace

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Cannonman17 said:
Ohio- Don't get too worked up over it buddy, it's not a big deal, "stuff" happens. I don't think it made you look like a fool, you just posted something for somebody and it didn't turn out as hoped. I think it was actually good for people to see, so many fakes out there these a days that it sucks, nobody wants to find out that they have one of them but it does happen. Best off to do what you do and find 'em yourself, no questions then.
Peace
Thanks Cannon,
Ilearned my lesson,I,m learning every day at whatever I do. I,ve been a machinist for 25 years and I still am learning new things. That,s life.
Happy huntin
Jeff

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Jeff,

I should have made my first post in this forum more constructive, but fakes make my skin crawl. I'm sure our communication in the future will be much more positive.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
pointdlr said:
Jeff,

I should have made my first post in this forum more constructive, but fakes make my skin crawl. I'm sure our communication in the future will be much more positive.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
THANKS Jon,
I,m sure they will be. I hunted a site along eagle creek yesterday and got permission to hunt another place I used to hunt om top of the hill.My best spot out there belonged to a friend who is deceased.I,m trying to find new owner.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread