Native American Tinkle Cone?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this in northern Illinois. Looks like other tinkle cones I have seen. Never seen one in person so I thought I'd post here to get some input. It measures 1.5 inches long. I can see what appears to be a seem on it. Looks legit to me. Any thought or details I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 006.JPG Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 007.JPG Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 008.JPG Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 010.JPG Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 011.JPG Brass-Copper Tinkle Bell Melvin's Field 012.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a rolled Copper Tube and most likely a Bead more than Tinkler. Most all of the Tinklers I have seen have a hole for suspension on one end. Awesome find!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva find!!!!! CONGRATZ....

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Kurios. I also like those clay marbles.

Thanks my Illini friend. The white round finds are actually musket balls. I'd prefer finding four clay marbles as that would double my total count on them after nine years rummaging around northern Illinois scavenging for treasure. Finding the Native American copper piece has certainly created a new rift in my understanding of this little community I am living in. Finding civil war buttons right next to an Indian relic just makes for some cool visions and fantasies of what may have been happening back in the day around here. Have a great Christmas my friend.:coffee2::hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva find!!!!! CONGRATZ....

Thanks fishstick. I usually keep my expectations pretty realistic about what I may recover during a hunt. I have found enough really wild and unexpected finds to know that at any given moment you might just get a real surprise as well. That's what keeps me heading out for the next adventure even in this blasted cold winter! LOL! Have a wonderful Christmas mate.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a rolled Copper Tube and most likely a Bead more than Tinkler. Most all of the Tinklers I have seen have a hole for suspension on one end. Awesome find!

A "bead", eh? Hmmm? Looks like I'll have to do a little more researching on this little relic. I have never heard of a metal item referred to as a bead? If it was hand crafted by a Native American Indian then I really don't care what it is. Just cool to know the local Indians were most likely interacting with the local towns folk where I live today. That's just cool as heck to me. Thanks for offering your knowledge mate. Much appreciated.:hello:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a rolled copper point from Southwest Georgia. Late 1700s /early 1800s. Hard to come by down here. I have only found ten.

Attachments

• Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found all of them over a number of years at the same site with a metal detector.

If the weeds dont die off in the fields I might just do some swinging myself. Civil War was a big topic here might find me a buckle.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Hi there, I'm a bit late to the party. There are a couple of types of copper/bronze tube beads that pop up in the Midwest, and some look alike items as well. I agree with Steve that it looks like a bead, but it could be a couple of different things.

Is there a seam? I see a line in the last picture, but curious to see if you can tell if was simply rolled/folded over or if it's soldered/welded? (Unfortunately the corrosion can "seal" the folds, so it might be hard to tell. A view down the "barrel" can sometimes show you more.) Here is a picture of some Adena copper beads. I zoomed in on one of the beads that shows the overlap.

Copper Bead.jpg

Can you tell what the metal is? (Not sure if metal detectors can discriminate enough to ID metals.) The ancient (mostly Woodland and Mississippian, but some Archaic pieces as well) native made ones would be pure copper, or maybe even copper with a bit of silver. The round ones can be made pretty well with tight seams, but the tube beads are typically a bit more irregular and folded over leaving a bigger seam and some overlap in some areas (a bit like the point that GA Rebel posted.) There are a range of trade beads made by Europeans that range from finely crafted to pretty basic made from Copper, Silver, Bronze and Brass. They would go from the 1600's through the 1900's. And there are some native made examples cut from trade goods or trashed European items (cut from kettles, spittoons, cans, cups, etc.) West of the Mississippi a frequent trade good was simply sheets of copper, Natives could cut and roll it as they wanted.

Have you found any other Native American relics on this site? Context is a big one for a lot Native American metal items. Something like that found on a Woodland or Mississippian age prehistoric site, with little modern or historic garbage around would be a strong indicator that it's associated with the Native American site. Copper beads usually aren't random finds in the Midwest, people who have found them are typically hunting big, known sites or dug mounds back in the day. Finding something like that in a privy or bottle dump might be more indicative of a scrap piece of copper that happens to look like a bead. (The last picture is an old moonshine still in Kentucky, I'd bet the cave behind is/was a great prehistoric site.)

still.jpg

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the smaller end, doesn't taper down quite enough as shown by ''GaRebel1861'' s post. Therefore I don't think it is a garment tinkler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread