Christmas Find!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out looking for some date nails at my grandparents place and found this instead! No nails, though. All the ties my grandpa used appear to be too modern, or they're flipped over in the dirt and I dont want to tear them up just to look for a nail I probably already have. Im not sure if this is something my grandfather found and lost in the yard or if it just washed up with all the rain last summer, but I have found another similar point here a long time ago, that I know my grandfather never saw, which makes me believe this washed up as well. This place isnt far from the river, so I expect there was a village or campsite here.

IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0157.JPG

Its nice and purple/red, or maroon I guess you would say?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in case you're wondering what a date nail is, they're just nails with dates on them that the railroads used to use in their railroad crossties. Heres a few I found a little while ago:

IMG_0062.JPG

These ones are from the 1920s and 1930s.

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Pueblo!! Nice Point!! Interesting Nails!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Find!! :occasion14:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice point has a good tip left on it. getting ready to go out myself all the rain we just had should have popped something up.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I havent found many artifacts like this, unlike some of the guys on here, and when I am lucky enough to come across an actual tool, it is usually broken.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice OP. That point is really nice, intact, yet so fragile looking.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a great point possibly Merserve for the type ??

Thanks and Im not sure. The other one I found here a long time ago I thought was a meserve, but I posted it here and most of the guys said it was probably a more recent triangle point. The nearby O'odham Indians made a lot of triangle points back in the day, so this is probably one of them.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and Im not sure. The other one I found here a long time ago I thought was a meserve, but I posted it here and most of the guys said it was probably a more recent triangle point. The nearby O'odham Indians made a lot of triangle points back in the day, so this is probably one of them.

Could be .... I’m from the east coast after all lol
The sides looked to straight at the base seems like most triangle types start from the corners and go directly towards the point urs seems to have a square base in either case that’s a awesome find and the nails are cool too when did they stop using them ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be .... I’m from the east coast after all lol
The sides looked to straight at the base seems like most triangle types start from the corners and go directly towards the point urs seems to have a square base in either case that’s a awesome find and the nails are cool too when did they stop using them ?

Most RRs stopped using them about 1970, from what I have read. Some foreign RRs still use them, I guess. I have 1903 to 1963, with only a few missing dates in between.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Christmas point looks old to me but Im from the east coast to. Woke up to ice falling this morning aint it great.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh. An old house I lived in used these to match storm windows to their proper location. Now I wonder if my railroad employed uncle had anything to do with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread