Figured it out!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I’ve been fortunate enough to find hundreds of artifacts, as well as buy a fair amount of area pieces.
I have been admiring the beautiful materials of many types for years, and wondering where the heck this natives found such a variety of great materials like these to work with.
B800DC4D-CA30-416F-9CFD-63B9F8C8B0D3.jpeg
...... Now I think I know.
Late November I had a couple of deer hunts in western South Dakota and after filling my two tags, I had the opportunity to hunt one of the many agate beds located near the badlands in our state.
The bluffs for miles were literally covered with great materials. Lots of petrified wood too. And it became obvious to me when I started finding worked pieces of different great materials where a lot of these pieces ariginated.. All the pieces in the third picture below have been worked, and most are complete tools and were found in that short hunt.
We only had an hour or so to hunt that day as we got going late in the day. But I’m sure I will be putting my time in next summer.
309767BB-07C6-4F4E-9323-8F6C1EB4FA3F.jpeg 26B55656-1DB0-4987-91D1-E3001A747250.jpeg 7F381EA2-A200-494E-87B5-C0AEA47105DC.jpeg
The persons in the background are an 89 year old gentleman from the nearest town, and shepherdess, a person who used to post here.
the lighter colored scraper was found while I was looking for a deer on a place called squaw butte near sheperdess’s ranch. Legend has it the natives left a sick squaw there at the beginning of winter to die. She supposedly was found alive and well the next spring. Had been taken care of by a wolf pack.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here are a couple examples of the raw materials. There is an abundance of the black n white pet wood.
DC287BB4-03D3-41F0-B120-3C442836502A.jpeg B7D3A4A9-75AE-4820-B76B-355C0767634D.jpeg
There is also a lot of sheet chalcedony commonly used to make badlands knives. Then there is just a lot of ugly on the outside and gorgeous on the inside stones.
. image.jpg image.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful materials. That looks like some pretty land to ramble around on.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. What I wouldn't do to have a ramble around those parts. I rode my motorcycle out there ages ago, and one of my fondest memories is when I stopped somewhere along an edge-of-Badlands highway in the middle of nowhere (but there was a pull-off w/ a trash can). I took in the view, but then realized that there were sparkly thingies everywhere I looked on the dusty ground. Agates and rose quartz! I took clothes out of my saddle pack and threw them away to give myself room for the rocks I collected. That is the sort of person I am. God help me.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
��
i know what you mean yakker, you should have seen the ground where I got out of the pick up and looked down. My first first thought was HOLY ****.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any place around the badlands is breathtaking. I am happy you found a great spot to hunt. That area is rich with beautiful rocks and fossils. Keep your eyes open for dinosaur bones!!! Great story of the wolf squaw. No doubt a great resource for material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread