How do you tell if what you’ve found is a artifact or just scrap with sharp edge?

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
I have found Items that “might” be something yet as I’ve seen here are not. I’ve been looking in a active farmed field and found items that have marks on them. Are they from a disc, or were they purposely marked, was that done? A couple have very similar marks that almost make it a peculiar coincidence that a disc did it. What about scrappers, or other tools? I hope ya’ll don’t mind, I have a lot of questions. I don’t want to post pics of just rocks that aren’t anything, some of you sound kinda harsh on things that aren’t anything, and they weren’t even my pics.

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look through several post on here and study what the item looks like. Arrowheads will have a certain shape, scrapers will have there shape, axes and celts look a specific way. and there is several post on here where people have found rocks and have ask what they were look through a lot of these post and you will get a good idea what you are looking for. Not sure what area you are from but some areas of the country does not have good material to make tools and points from and these are harder to identify. Most people are helpful until you ask about a rock over and over.

OP
OP
balddawg

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
Thanks willjo, I live in the west central Ohio valley area.

OP
OP
balddawg

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
I will be doing a lot of studying on here. This area is pretty good for artifacts.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the artifacts from Ohio I have seen, is not hard to tell they are artifacts, good luck hunting them.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Post some photo's. You may find some made out of Flintridge material which can be really nice looking stone.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to identify worked stone is to learn to do it yourself. Once you know how to strike a flake etc. You'll never look at rocks the same again. YouTube has some fantastic videos, "paleobenjamin" has some of the best.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Check out the The Archaeological Society of Ohio, this could help.

Also consider attending a Central States Archaeological Societies in Indiana. There is a show event held in Richmond Indiana.

Indiana State fair has a guy who chips and sells reproduction flint relics in the Hoosier Heritage area. This is a good way to see first hand how relics are chipped, to see the point come about in stages. I would think Ohio has a similar program.

Attend knap-in's, these are rendezvous type of event held by people who come together to knap and learn from each other. Here is the Flint Ridge knap in site for 2017 - check it for future events.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to come and check out the artifact show in Ripley Ohio at Ripley High School. The school is located right along Rt 52. The show is March the 4th and I believe from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. That is a Sunday. This is a great show with lots if really nice Ohio pieces. I will have 6 tables set up for display.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Being " worked" does not always mean knapped. Uniformity helps with knapped works though. It is an art not too easy to confuse with happenstance.
Polished relics exist too. Some that were pecked as well.

As mentioned though ,keep looking at examples. More recent works are easier than the oldest ,but most stand out after looking at enough of them.
If in doubt ,hang on to them awhile while looking for upgrades. Upgrades meaning more sure without doubting if they were " made" by human hands.
In time ,you may spot deliberate flakes ,or cores.
Fractured or scarred or even shaped from non human hands material likes to beckon. Keep looking....
With time and experience ,you will know more often what you find.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What county are you in? You are in prime area for Slate artifacts in the west central part of the state. Are you close to Darke, Mercer, Shelby, Miami, etc?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grim, I’m in Miami.

You are in a hot bed for artifacts and especially Slate. Lots of Slate pieces found in that general area. Are you a member of the Ohio Archaeological Society? If not, you should join and go to the meetings in Columbus. I think there is even a local chapter near you. If you are on Facebook contact Elaine Holtzapfel and she can give you more info. I think she lives in that area as well.

The Archaeological Society of Ohio - Home Page

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched 10 minutes of a flintknapping video on youtube today and learned so much about why a "worked" piece looks that way. So helpful!

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best way to identify worked stone is to learn to do it yourself. Once you know how to strike a flake etc. You'll never look at rocks the same again. YouTube has some fantastic videos, "paleobenjamin" has some of the best.

Someone gave me the same advice and I have to agree. Flintknapping really helped me sort out my finds and possible finds. It also is a lot of fun in between hunts. When I am not finding anything on a hunt I enjoy picking up chert in our creek and knocking some flakes off or even making a quick tool. It has helped me learn a lot about the lithics in my area. Look forward to seeing your pics soon. Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread