Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How do you tell if what youíve found is a artifact or just scrap with sharp edge?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2013
    33 times

How do you tell if what youíve found is a artifact or just scrap with sharp edge?

I have found Items that ďmightĒ be something yet as Iíve seen here are not. Iíve been looking in a active farmed field and found items that have marks on them. Are they from a disc, or were they purposely marked, was that done? A couple have very similar marks that almost make it a peculiar coincidence that a disc did it. What about scrappers, or other tools? I hope yaíll donít mind, I have a lot of questions. I donít want to post pics of just rocks that arenít anything, some of you sound kinda harsh on things that arenít anything, and they werenít even my pics.

us
    retired

Apr 2015
    Twin City, Ga.
    Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
    1234 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Look through several post on here and study what the item looks like. Arrowheads will have a certain shape, scrapers will have there shape, axes and celts look a specific way. and there is several post on here where people have found rocks and have ask what they were look through a lot of these post and you will get a good idea what you are looking for. Not sure what area you are from but some areas of the country does not have good material to make tools and points from and these are harder to identify. Most people are helpful until you ask about a rock over and over.

Apr 2013
    33 times
    Thanks willjo, I live in the west central Ohio valley area.

Apr 2013
    33 times
    I will be doing a lot of studying on here. This area is pretty good for artifacts.
    fishstick and ramjet2187 like this.

us
    retired

Apr 2015
    Twin City, Ga.
    Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
    1234 times
    All the artifacts from Ohio I have seen, is not hard to tell they are artifacts, good luck hunting them.

us
    Jan 2011
    523 times
    Post some photo's. You may find some made out of Flintridge material which can be really nice looking stone.
    fishstick and balddawg like this.

Apr 2013
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    Post some photo's. You may find some made out of Flintridge material which can be really nice looking stone.
    I will, I have a few things Iím not sure about, but look tooled(?)

Jan 2015
    72 times
    The best way to identify worked stone is to learn to do it yourself. Once you know how to strike a flake etc. You'll never look at rocks the same again. YouTube has some fantastic videos, "paleobenjamin" has some of the best.
    RGINN and BearCreek like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    25367 times
    check this thread out, it is located at the top of this forum. It is from monsterrack, also one on drilled stones.

Helpful Hint On Chipped/Worked Stone
    jamus peek likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

us
    Apr 2009
    Indiana
    Fisher F70
    418 times
    Check out the The Archaeological Society of Ohio, this could help.

Also consider attending a Central States Archaeological Societies in Indiana. There is a show event held in Richmond Indiana.

Indiana State fair has a guy who chips and sells reproduction flint relics in the Hoosier Heritage area. This is a good way to see first hand how relics are chipped, to see the point come about in stages. I would think Ohio has a similar program.

Attend knap-in's, these are rendezvous type of event held by people who come together to knap and learn from each other. Here is the Flint Ridge knap in site for 2017 - check it for future events.

Apr 2013
    33 times
    Great thanks dognose!

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    3892 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    You might want to come and check out the artifact show in Ripley Ohio at Ripley High School. The school is located right along Rt 52. The show is March the 4th and I believe from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. That is a Sunday. This is a great show with lots if really nice Ohio pieces. I will have 6 tables set up for display.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

Apr 2013
    33 times
    Thanks Grim, will mark it on my calendar.

us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    90 times
    Prospecting
    I would suggest buying a good Indian artifacts book loads of information and photos. Good luck.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    12306 times
    Being " worked" does not always mean knapped. Uniformity helps with knapped works though. It is an art not too easy to confuse with happenstance.
    Polished relics exist too. Some that were pecked as well.

As mentioned though ,keep looking at examples. More recent works are easier than the oldest ,but most stand out after looking at enough of them.
    If in doubt ,hang on to them awhile while looking for upgrades. Upgrades meaning more sure without doubting if they were " made" by human hands.
    In time ,you may spot deliberate flakes ,or cores.
    Fractured or scarred or even shaped from non human hands material likes to beckon. Keep looking....
    With time and experience ,you will know more often what you find.
    Last edited by releventchair; Jan 26, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links