dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm ashamed to say that I really know nothing about these, other than the facts that I found them all in Central Mississippi from different areas (mostly around the Pearl River), and that they are artifacts.

I'm a member of the forum because I'm addicted to relic hunting, but I've had these for decades and always wondered if there was any significance to any of them.

The last one is absolutely beautiful to me. With the red stone and the fracture of crystal. It glistens, but the pics don't do it justice.

Any info that you kind folks could give would be much appreciated! 20180111_215945.jpg 20180111_220032.jpg 20180111_220049.jpg 20180111_220117.jpg 20180111_220208.jpg 20180111_220219.jpg 20180111_220308.jpg 20180111_220425.jpg 20180111_220506.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first few pieces look authentic. The last one I think is a fake gift shop item, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
dirtfishinMS

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last one was actually picked up by hand from the dirt in a field in Simpson county, MS.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the last one is a modern fake. I met a guy that bought dozens of these at a local store and spread them on his field to let his grandkids find them. Maybe that is what happened with yours.

OP
OP
dirtfishinMS

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did find it. I'll post more/better pics when I get home later, but I've always loved this one and I hope it's not somehow a replica!

OP
OP
dirtfishinMS

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, if I recall, the back side shows chip marks. I only photoed this side because I thought it was prettier. I'll post again later.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last one is of the type often sold in gift shops, and I often see them at gem and mineral shows as well. But I differ from other opinions here in that I would not call it a fake. Fakes are made to deliberately deceive. They are often very well made and made to look like not only genuine points but rare points. Why? $$$, that's why! Your last one shown is really usually called a tourist point, because of the type of shops that sell them. They are not being made to fool collectors and cheat them out of money. Nor do they ever really fool experienced collectors. Unlike true fakes, which can, and often do, fool the unwary.

I like the first three points you show, especially the first one. Don't let it get you too down!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a better view of the last one:

20180111_220308-2.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes more pics of the last one both sides and edges

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last one does look fake but if that type of stone is found in the area that could make the difference. Since I have only lived in MS for 5 years I am not familiar with the different types of stone and rock in MS,

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the last one is modern replica I was on the fence as I’m not from your area and not familiar with local materials used. The side view pics really made up my mind they do not look correct at all. Also something you will see with a lot of the replicas is large flat areas that show no work done if you look at real ones up close the entire point will be worked / chipped / pecked and you can see almost every strike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtfishinMS

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well crap. I always loved that one the most. Thanks everyone for your input!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crap. I always loved that one the most. Thanks everyone for your input!
Dirtfishin, first welcome to TreasureNet.

Unfortunately for you Charl and the others are correct, it is a tourist point. Don't let that discourage you, you found some real points, keep looking and following the artifact forums. Suggest you pick up the latest Overstreet book on artifacts, it is a good reference book and you can learn what they look like.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a souvenir type piece. No self respecting Indian would go on a hunt with that thing! The 3rd photo is a really cool point, I dont see them like that very often. And if you keep collecting you'll eventually develop an eye for the old stuff, and be able to tell the difference.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I think the one you have was made in Mexico (tourist point) I have seen them stamped, Mexico, at tourist traps. At least the points from Indian resemble an arrowhead. lol The others look great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions