I know this is not an artifact but anyone know WHAT it is?

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
These pics are what I was referring to when I asked about authentic points, tools, scrappers ect. How can you be sure what you found is something? Tool marks? What?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515889174.794551.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515889194.672327.jpg

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossil. Not sure what type. Coral perhaps?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
fossilized coral.

you asked:
How can you be sure what you found is something?

For flint relics look for chipping on the flint / stone. The chipping will flake away from the point of impact in a half conical shape for percussion flaking and small edge work chipping on pressure flaking.

Flint is similar to glass as its made of silica. Think of a bb hitting a pane of glass and how the conical hole is shaped to show the exit. This is from the force of the impact and the shock waves passing through the glass.

Now extrapolate this to a piece of flint, where one only has half of the area where an object, in this case a
billet instead of a bb, would impact the material, flint instead of glass. The shock wave can be manipulated by the chipper by using different angles of the material and billet to form how these shock wave travel through the material and how much of the material is remove in the flake. The flaking scar will be evident on the relic.

For hard stone relics look for evidence of pecking and polishing. Pecking used to shape the relic and polishing either from use of in refining the relic to the finished item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread