Tombigbee River ind - Type Unknown

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tombigbee River Find - Type Unknown

This point was in an Old Timer's collection, and it is labeled "Tombigbee River. Miss. 1937"

My reference books are all about New York State and New England ....anyone have an idea about this point's Identification /Type? ???

Thanks!

Kirk Corner Notched1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Docpr

Greenie
Mar 11, 2013
Cowtown,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could be what we call in Texas a Marshall???
Not an exact specimen but very close.......

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like a kirk corner notched point, but it also looks like a Marshal point also, just where you are at as to what it is called

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice point!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live 3 miles from the Tombigbee. You might research " Cotton Gin Port" in Amory, Mississippi. Settlers came to this area along the river to farm and ship cotton to Mobile, Al. They used the Chickasaw Indians to help with the labor. They used the Indians half wild horses to help pull the cotton barges up river to be loaded as the river was lower in summer months. Your flint looks to be a spear head because arrow heads were smaller for hunting birds and rabbits etc. As settlers gained NUMBERS they ran the Indians off and kept some as slaves. As the railroads moved in, the settlers moved east to what is now Amory,Mississippi.Just as a side note, Cotton Gin Port at one time was the largest cotton ports in the south.Its sad how we treated the Chickasaw. You have a great find.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful point. I certainly wish I hunted for artifacts when I was stationed at Columbus in the early 70s, but sadly I was busy hunting for other things... Dang!
dts

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The big classic ones are easy to identify, but smaller resharpened ones show a lot of variation. Kirk Corner Notch mentioned by Willjo is also a strong possibility.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Punch style notching is an Early Archaic trait so most likely it is a small Lost Lake or something from the Kirk cluster. Nice Point either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread