1.6 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They're all pieces of the past, broke or whole. But, we do get spoiled. Heck of a rim sherd, pottery does not preserve well in the acidic soil up here. That would be a great find where I hunt!

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a big, very nice piece of pottery! And I like that broken base too. Haven't had much luck this January either. But it was too cold the first 8 days, had the flu the next 6-7 days, and then 8" of snow, all of which wiped out the first 20 days. I feel sure there are very nice finds still in front of us for this year. Good luck!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain been a slow year so far but I haven’t had a whole lot of time to look but I’m sure it will pick up for you .... man that base is huge would be awesome to find the rest of that thing

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a very nice, displayable piece of pottery.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're all pieces of the past, broke or whole. But, we do get spoiled. Heck of a rim sherd, pottery does not preserve well in the acidic soil up here. That would be a great find where I hunt!

Thanks Charl I dont always pick the pottery up anymore just dont have enough room for it. I have to be more picky now days.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was probably a massive point in the first pic and the looks of the rim probably a huge pot too! Great finds!

Probably a water pot would be my guess, thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a big, very nice piece of pottery! And I like that broken base too. Haven't had much luck this January either. But it was too cold the first 8 days, had the flu the next 6-7 days, and then 8" of snow, all of which wiped out the first 20 days. I feel sure there are very nice finds still in front of us for this year. Good luck!

I have been ducking the Flu so far. Everybody at work has been sick but me. I hope the year gets better for us as I am spoiled I know. The base is a Savannah River I do believe so it would of been 5 inches and up in length. Would of been a trophy for sure. I can only hope I will find the other half or 1 of its friends whole

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain been a slow year so far but I haven’t had a whole lot of time to look but I’m sure it will pick up for you .... man that base is huge would be awesome to find the rest of that thing

We have had lots of rain this winter just enough to muddy everything and it always seems to be on my days off or just before so there isnt any point to go look till it dries out some. I lost my best spot to look the property sold for an unreal amount I thought for sure it would never sell at the price they were asking but it did. I contacted the new owner but he said call back in June and maybe you can walk it then for a month. I use to be able to go whenever I wanted. Im just hoping when June comes its still a go. I also found out he is a developer for homes :(

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking but havent found anything special whole. I did enjoy finding this little Turtle Back scraper the other day. I would like to find this material made into a point.

Attachments

• SDC12845.JPG
    SDC12845.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ah shucks don't give up now.:thumb_up:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking but havent found anything special whole. I did enjoy finding this little Turtle Back scraper the other day. I would like to find this material made into a point.

Now that's a beauty of a find! Would like to see a point made from it too and hope you find one.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had lots of rain this winter just enough to muddy everything and it always seems to be on my days off or just before so there isnt any point to go look till it dries out some. I lost my best spot to look the property sold for an unreal amount I thought for sure it would never sell at the price they were asking but it did. I contacted the new owner but he said call back in June and maybe you can walk it then for a month. I use to be able to go whenever I wanted. Im just hoping when June comes its still a go. I also found out he is a developer for homes :(

Man that’s a shame that happened to one of best spots it’s where I found my first points as a kid and hundreds more growing up now there’s a neighborhood .... I made it out once when they were breaking ground for the homes but only found 1 point I think they must have trucked in a bunch of dirt from elsewhere cause there should have been stuff everywhere. You should keep an eye on it if they start construction you may find some stuff but hopefully it remains a field.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah shucks don't give up now.:thumb_up:

6 years already I will just go knocking on other doors. I know of a creek that has 1 house on it and if I can get the nerve up I will knock before summer gets here. Its a old run down house and thats my concern otherwise I would knock away. Nobody looks in that creek and as you drive by it there is plenty of gravel in it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that’s a shame that happened to one of best spots it’s where I found my first points as a kid and hundreds more growing up now there’s a neighborhood .... I made it out once when they were breaking ground for the homes but only found 1 point I think they must have trucked in a bunch of dirt from elsewhere cause there should have been stuff everywhere. You should keep an eye on it if they start construction you may find some stuff but hopefully it remains a field.

Once I get to meet him in June I just might ask about a section for purchase. Its on one end so maybe he wouldnt mind selling a section.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know we always what to find "more", but for this time of year I would consider that a decent hunt. I haven't been out at all yet in 2018, and with not much on the horizon until spring. I love those large quartzite Savannah Rivers' like the base half you found. I have found half a dozen of them, either tips or bases, and all broken. It is one of those type items that I have hopes of reuniting with their other halves one day. Nice material on that turtleback scraper too!

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, we had an above freezing couple days here in central NY after weeks of below freezing temps and snow, finally got to at least walk in a field for a short time :laughing7: I'd say you aren't doing too bad rock, that pottery piece is awesome.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, lol, be another 4 months or so till the snow is possibly gone here for me..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread