Tips for looking?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
what part of the country are you?

I found that when I lived in Missouri the hunting for sites was a bit different than in Indiana or Kentucky.

I tend to pick up a lot. Anything that is not a natural shape I keep and wash off. If its straight, or at an uncommon angle, or form, into the bag it goes. Got lots of 'just rocks' around decorating the yard that way.

Strangely enough many of my better finds at the end of the day, tended to be mud covered gunk which didn't look too great in the field.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found that when I lived in Missouri the hunting for sites was a bit different than in Indiana or Kentucky.

I tend to pick up a lot. Anything that is not a natural shape I keep and wash off. If its straight, or at an uncommon angle, or form, into the bag it goes. Got lots of 'just rocks' around decorating the yard that way.

Strangely enough many of my better finds at the end of the day, tended to be mud covered gunk which didn't look too great in the field.
Thanks man! Im in NW pennsylvania...Iroquois were here and before that were the Neutrals or Erie folk...Im still trying to break through the learning curve...ive found a few scrapers but thats all. Alot of gray shale in the creeks here.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So your vote is for shape?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, when I'm hunting I often wonder exactly what is the best thing to look for. Should I look for color difference? Shine? Shape? Or knapping grooves? I have not found a whole lot, so any advice would be appreciated.
Josh

Josh, I think you're on the right track when I say "All of the above," in response to your question. There will certainly be a learning curve to overcome, but you'll definitely get there. Here's a few insitu pictures of ones I've found just as I spotted them. I hope this will be of more help than me trying to tell you what to look for since conditions vary so widely. I may have a few more pictures on an old computer that I'll throw on when I get a chance, if you feel they are of any benefit to you. Best of luck.

pickwick insitu.jpg pickwick.jpg
elora.jpg elora1.jpg
pickwick woods.jpg pickwick woods1.jpg
sr.jpg sr1.jpg
wacissa.jpg wacissa1.jpg

Attachments

• sr1.jpg
    sr1.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
For me the 'knapping grooves' are the quickest and easiest indicator of an artifact in the field. To me it stands out more than shape or color.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh, I think you're on the right track when I say "All of the above," in response to your question. There will certainly be a learning curve to overcome, but you'll definitely get there. Here's a few insitu pictures of ones I've found just as I spotted them. I hope this will be of more help than me trying to tell you what to look for since conditions vary so widely. I may have a few more pictures on an old computer that I'll throw on when I get a chance, if you feel they are of any benefit to you. Best of luck.

View attachment 1541618 View attachment 1541621
View attachment 1541623 View attachment 1541626
View attachment 1541630 View attachment 1541632
View attachment 1541635 View attachment 1541640
View attachment 1541637 View attachment 1541638
Thanks that is helpful! I should try to google "In Situ Arrowhead points" for practice. Im surprised at how different the color can be from in situ to cleaned off and in hand. I definitely find alot of natural chert so I know my eyes are getting better at finding the right material.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For me the 'knapping grooves' are the quickest and easiest indicator of an artifact in the field. To me it stands out more than shape or color.

I was told exactly that just yesterday by a fellow hunter I met in the river. who has found many points. Since my "point finds" consist of one half-point, I'll consider that to be good advice. Good luck.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think shape is what has caught my attention the most, field walking anyways. The straight edges, point sticking out, base and so on...since most artifacts are partially or mostly covered. I find it similar to deer hunting or riding in a car looking out the window into the woods as you drive by. I'm not looking specifically for the deer in every open spot or through the blur of vertical trees and bushes, Its the horizontal shape of the deer standing that sticks out from the rest of the vertical shapes as I'm glancing around, if that makes any sense :laughing7:

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best way to find them is just get used to "seeing" them when they blend in with everything around them. I have HUNDREDS of sharks teeth, I can literally find them at walking speed going down the beach while everyone else is creeping along looking at every shinny black shell because I have learned what they "don't look like" I have a friend that can see arrow heads 10 feet in front of him, which drives me nuts because when it come to arrow heads, I'm one of those creepers. Iv'e never met anyone that was good at finding arrow heads that had only found a few.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shape. Color. Flaking. Knowing the most common type of lithics used in your area of Pa. Visit area museums if possible, and collections, online, or in person, to understand better all those things. Especially, I believe, getting to the point that when you spot even a little piece of the lithic material common to your area, it will stop you on a dime. That takes getting out there, and practice, practice, practice.

Obviously, look in the right places. Cultivated fields, with permission, that are near fresh water sources, and after heavy washing rains.

Here's what will happen eventually. You will get to the point that recognizing a possible artifact using material recognition, flaking, etc will become second nature. When that happens, recognition of a potential point, or whatever, will become near instantaneous. You won't be saying "that's the right color, I see flaking, I like that shape". Yes, on an unconscious level those thoughts will be there, but once you have enough experience, it will all be at a second nature level. You'll still be fooled by the shape of a leaf, a sherd of glass, whatever. Happens to all of us, but the recognition of what you need to recognize will actually happen very quickly, at an unconscious level, and you will jump on stuff even when only a tiny portion is showing. Like some of the in-situ photos above demonstrate must have been the case in order to find those hard to spot points. That guy had experience under his belt to have spotted those. It's probably second nature by now for him to do that. Walk and practice. For hours on end. It's a learning curve, but it's not brain surgery, lol, you can get to that point just like we all have.....

Good luck!

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm hunting for a good place to look, l like to try to find a good little hill with a bunch of flakes and hunt that spot really good.... Hoping it's an old camp spot. Once you find one point there's usually another around.. I have more luck hunting cutovers than creeks

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm hunting for a good place to look, l like to try to find a good little hill with a bunch of flakes and hunt that spot really good.... Hoping it's an old camp spot. Once you find one point there's usually another around.. I have more luck hunting cutovers than creeks
How would you describe a "cutover" coosakid?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread