Artifact?

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance you’d think that this is just a rock but there seems to be some pecking marks on two spots. It does fit nicely in your hand, which definitely doesn’t mean that it’s an artifact, but the two spots that seem to have different color and texture leads me to believe that someone could have used this rock at some point to hammer on something.

It’s also worth noting that this was found in a field where I have found other artifacts and many rocks with implement marks on them. These marks could be from a plow but it looks like pecking to me..

What do you think?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517193581.754075.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517193598.721062.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517193616.606216.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517193649.528731.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's the problem, people believing what they want, instead of what is. And mere opinions alone prove absolutely nothing and teach absolutely nothing of value.

That's why we, (well some of us) show evidence, have debate, and discuss things, trying to figure out what actually is, instead of what we, or someone else wants something to be.

I'll add this, from what I have seen here, I would love to hunt a lot of peoples sites to pick up all the artifacts they are leaving behind. Seems many here have the "if it isn't grooved or notched, or look like a picture I've seen in a book", it isn't an artifact attitude.

I remember a couple years ago I posted what I referred to as a Tomahawk. I was at the very beginning of learning and you posted a real grooved axe and talked about how it was polished and although it didn't seem like a friendly encounter and I was admittedly stubborn you gave me the opportunity to learn something. I appreciated that!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I remember a couple years ago I posted what I referred to as a Tomahawk. I was at the very beginning of learning and you posted a real grooved axe and talked about how it was polished and although it didn't seem like a friendly encounter and I was admittedly stubborn you gave me the opportunity to learn something. I appreciated that!

thank you sir! Glad I could help.

Unfortunately the written word doesn’t allow for much emotion, and I am a get to the point without fluff kind of guy, with good intentions.

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's the problem, people believing what they want, instead of what is. And mere opinions alone prove absolutely nothing and teach absolutely nothing of value.

That's why we, (well some of us) show evidence, have debate, and discuss things, trying to figure out what actually is, instead of what we, or someone else wants something to be.

I'll add this, from what I have seen here, I would love to hunt a lot of peoples sites to pick up all the artifacts they are leaving behind. Seems many here have the "if it isn't grooved or notched, or look like a picture I've seen in a book", it isn't an artifact attitude.

So making remarks like “ I remember my first beer “ is educational or teaches people something ?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I have not read through this thread past my last comment, whenever that was. But, seeing it extend for several pages, I knew that there must be dissension, and likely argumentation, going on.

A few observations where crude artifacts are concerned, artifacts that often elicit "that's not an artifact" comments. I'm thinking of two such classes, and I find those two classes, in my own experience, in a particular field that I'll describe.

1. The more examples of crude artifacts you find, the easier to identify. But really that's the case with any class of artifact. There is always a learning curve. Two classes that come to mind, personally, would be notched weights, and hammerstones. If one is used to finding a great many hammerstones, you come to recognize them easily enough; if one has little experience with cruise, basic affair hammerstones, they are harder to recognize. Just that simple I believe, and that's probably what happened in this thread. There is always a learning curve, the reason newbies pick up "just rocks"; and because recognizing "just rocks" is second nature to experienced eyes, it's also the reason experienced folks often have trouble explaining to newbies why "it's just a rock".

2. About that field I mentioned. 25 years ago, the owner said "played out, but look if you want". Indeed, it was a farm going back to the 1600's, and I was to meet an old timer who had hunted it in the 1930's, when wonderful things were found.

A funny, and real good, thing happened. For about 6-8 years, the farmer plowed half way to China, and replenished that played out field. The wife and I found lots of nice points, a full grooved axe, a nice celt, etc. Over many years. It was no longer played out.

I found quite a number of chlorite and steatite pipe forms and pipe blanks. Never a finished pipe. Why? All those earlier generations had found all the killer examples, and the Mrs. and I were left to pick up pipe blanks that earlier hunters could simply pass on, if they had seen them.

Same with very rudimentary notched weights and hammerstones. Found lots. Was it because earlier generations just missed them? Well, maybe some of my better examples, yes. But, I'm thinking, in the case of the crudest, naw, they likely just left them in the dirt. These fields were just too good to collect "junk" artifacts. And that's why I'm the poor slob bringing home crude notched weights and hammerstones. And, because I find so many of each, I recognize them more readily then others might. Those earlier generations, hunting a killer field, could afford to leave low quality examples of things like hammerstones and notched weights. Me, and my generation, were the beggars who could not be choosers.

Believe me, for instance, I have notched weights that I would not post here, so rudimentary that I really don't need the aggravation of having folks not used to such artifacts telling me "that ain't an artifact", when I know full well, from experience, that it is.
And why have I found so many crude hammers and notched weights in that once great field(the farmer found a perfect pop eye birdstone in this field in the 30's, and gave it to that old timer, who was a young man in those days)? Because earlier generations could not be bothered; they could afford to collect only the very best examples.

Bottom line here. If you have tons of experience finding hammerstones, perhaps the least sexy of any artifact class, you'll develop an eye for them, and recognize them when you see them. That's how I felt about the OP's piece. Little or no experience, you might see "just a rock" that got whacked somehow....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word to the wise, discussion and debate is allowed and welcome, animosity, insulting and mocking a member(s) is not.
Certain forums you do indeed allow it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certain forums you do indeed allow it.

If you see it report it, the only forum that it is allowed is our politics forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread