Ratio of broken arrowheads to complete arrowheads

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5:1 on average digging in rock shelters, some shelters 10:1
Probably a good ratio for anywhere.
Your definitely gonna find more broke ones than whole.....
But if your finding alot of broke ones in one general area there's a whole one there somewhere

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
sounds like a good ratio.

On another note, I bet I find 5 thumb scrapers to every broken point on my sites.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a hard question to get an exact answer to .... if you count debitage / chips / flakes I would put it at probably 20:1 but If just counting actual point remains or knives like a base or tip it would probably be 10:1 for me anyways ...... but than you have those awesome days where you find 5 nice complete points and hardly anything else and that’s what keeps me coming back. Unfortunately it does seem those days are getting fewer and further between.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got into hunting, my mentor told me "you find a 100 brokes to every whole one" Well I'm glad its not quite that bad, if the field has been plowed heavily then yes.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
sounds like a good ratio.

On another note, I bet I find 5 thumb scrapers to every broken point on my sites.

I have had similar results. Some of the Clovis sites are something like 10:1. I follow some shelter digging threads on other forums and rarely see a scraper posted....lol. The OP's of these threads post EVERYTHING found....lol. My guess is they do not recognize scrapers.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
When I first got into hunting, my mentor told me "you find a 100 brokes to every whole one" Well I'm glad its not quite that bad, if the field has been plowed heavily then yes.

I can understand the ratio's being higher in the fields that see routine plowing. Rock shelters are a blessing in that regard.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only surface hunt, but for me it is around 10 brokes to 1 whole, but I normally walk miles when I hunt.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 brokes to 1 whole in fields. 4 brokes to 1 near perfect in creeks.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here it's like winning the lottery at times. The ''Indians'' were predominantly nomadic, and unless you can gain access to a specific kill site like Buffalo jump then your chances of finding complete points is much higher. But you have access to a site like the Mandan village that Larson 1951 had acess to then your chances are more than 50 percent.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding more points that are complete is one of the reasons I prefer to hunt streambeds.

I’ll second that it seems finds in or near water source are always in better shape. I guess not surprising since the alternative is a field that’s been plowed hundreds of times

Last edited:

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you guys have far better broken to whole point ratios than me. I'd say I found maybe 20:1 or so but I only hunt by a river.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

This may be a silly question, but when you hunt for arrowheads, on average, how many broken arrowheads do you find before you find a full arrowhead? Ill define a full arrowhead as 90% intact. Thanks everyone!

Not a silly question at all. In the fields here the Disc will cut them into pieces so sometimes you dont have enough to know what it use to be so tips and bases are the best guesses. I find probably 25 brokes to every almost wholes and maybe 5 perfect pieces a year. I go at least 1 time a week and sometimes more depending on the days and weeks. Dont get discourage if you are finding broken ones it just makes the whole ones more special when you find them.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Idk sometimes it seems like a 100 to one...

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here in Vermont it depends on where you look. Plowed fields give up very few whole points and a lot of broken ones. Scrapers are abundant. Water finds seem to be my best finds even though I come across heartbreakers there to. If you stumble across untouched sites it can be the holy grail although I havn't been that lucky.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area I hunt both fields and creeks, but if I hunt a field I know my ratio will be 15:1 due to the plow. That's why I spend so much time in creeks or drains that have very little amount of rocks or sand in them. Doing this you have a better chance of finding whole artifacts and they are sometimes easy to spot. When hunting these clay bottom creeks and drains I would say my ratio is 2:1 and on a good day 1:1.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
In my area I hunt both fields and creeks, but if I hunt a field I know my ratio will be 15:1 due to the plow. That's why I spend so much time in creeks or drains that have very little amount of rocks or sand in them. Doing this you have a better chance of finding whole artifacts and they are sometimes easy to spot. When hunting these clay bottom creeks and drains I would say my ratio is 2:1 and on a good day 1:1.

Not trying to start an argument, but i am not so sure the plow is the culprit as much as we’d like to think. My understanding with the natives in this area, and likely other areas was that if their point suffered damage, they would unhalft the broken points back at home and discard them. Then put a new point on if they couldn’t modify the damaged point. We can find more whole points in water or gravel bars is because they were often missed shots that didn’t damage the point and the dart or arrow wasn’t able to be retrieved.. Watering animals were an easier target, and favorite hunting places were often at watering spots.

also, I find way more bases than tips, and imho that lends an amount of credence to this theory. Anyone else have similar results, more bases than tips?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread