site on my property

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago I timbered my property. Thought that as the ground was disturbed by heavy equipment, I might spot some NA work areas. I did. I found 4 NA work areas on my property that I didn't know about before (scattering of rhyolite flakes, broken points). Contacted an archeologist who appreciated that I made the contact, but he wasn't interested enough to check the sites out. So, I decided to do my own excavation. These were found at one of the sites that I've excavated...an area about 6' X 25' , surface to 11" to 13". What I'm showing are points (seems to be middle to late archaic),possibly utilized flakes, non rhyolite stone used in some way, and flake debris. No fantastic finds (except maybe the yadkin eared point), but still fascinating to me!

IMAG0088.jpg
IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg
IMAG0100.jpg
IMAG0102.jpg

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool!!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool ptsofnc ! That sound like a very nice site to me. A significant amount of material for that size area and depth. Have you dug any deeper in spots to check for older sites? A lot of us envy being able to own and dig your own sites. HH

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool ptsofnc ! That sound like a very nice site to me. A significant amount of material for that size area and depth. Have you dug any deeper in spots to check for older sites? A lot of us envy being able to own and dig your own sites. HH

The site sits on the crest of a small hill. It has a perfect southern exposure and there is a very small stream just down the hill to the south that begins at a spring a short distance to the east. I have dug down to hardpan (and slightly deeper) just to make sure there is no reason to go any deeper. The archeologist told me that many NA sites are near the surface due to erosion in the last 200 years. Haven't become deeper, but shallower. That surprised me. I'm pretty sure the little area that I've excavated has never been plowed.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool to have it all on your own property and can dig all you want to :laughing7: You have found some awesome artifacts and no telling what you will find next. I can't remember if you mentioned looking in the stream. The land I own has about 2 acres of flat flood plain and then the creek is like a deep ditch running around it, the creek itself is very shallow but runs all the time, everything I find is in the creek and I've had the flat area plowed and I gardened it with barely a rock in that spot or I would be digging up my field if I thought there was something there. I'm wondering if there would be pottery in your stream, is there broken glass there or old bottles?

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool to have it all on your own property and can dig all you want to :laughing7: You have found some awesome artifacts and no telling what you will find next. I can't remember if you mentioned looking in the stream. The land I own has about 2 acres of flat flood plain and then the creek is like a deep ditch running around it, the creek itself is very shallow but runs all the time, everything I find is in the creek and I've had the flat area plowed and I gardened it with barely a rock in that spot or I would be digging up my field if I thought there was something there. I'm wondering if there would be pottery in your stream, is there broken glass there or old bottles?

When I said stream, it is no more than a very good spring (the good water would have probably been the main reason the NAs sat right on that spot and worked stone) about 100' down the hill. I can only get to the little stream in the winter when I can hack my way through the briars and honeysuckle. I wouldn't be surprised if some artifacts would have washed down the hill and lodged in the little ditch that the spring runs through. The creek that I hunt and have found points and pottery in are on the other side of my property and there is flat bottom land (flood plain) on both sides of that creek. I have never found artifacts in the flat bottom land, just in the creek.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I said stream, it is no more than a very good spring (the good water would have probably been the main reason the NAs sat right on that spot and worked stone) about 100' down the hill. I can only get to the little stream in the winter when I can hack my way through the briars and honeysuckle. I wouldn't be surprised if some artifacts would have washed down the hill and lodged in the little ditch that the spring runs through. The creek that I hunt and have found points and pottery in are on the other side of my property and there is flat bottom land (flood plain) on both sides of that creek. I have never found artifacts in the flat bottom land, just in the creek.

Sounds like your creek and I call it bottom land too are similar to mine. The good stuff!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Wow!
Sounds like a project I have been dreaming about for years. And it should come to fruition in the next couple.
I envy you.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be very satisfying to get them off of your own place. A neighbor told me about the best field he ever hunted but it has been in pasture for over 40 years. I have it leased and have a tractor and a moldboard plow and am turning it this spring. I am excited and hope my site turns out as well as yours.

OP
OP
P

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be very satisfying to get them off of your own place. A neighbor told me about the best field he ever hunted but it has been in pasture for over 40 years. I have it leased and have a tractor and a moldboard plow and am turning it this spring. I am excited and hope my site turns out as well as yours.

Good luck to you! Hope you get out there first after plowing and a good rain!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will be doing the plowing and no one can see the field or knows about me doing it. It right beside a cave. We timbered around 1200 acres two years ago and like you I looked for spots on the mountains but did not find any signs there. Have found plenty in the valley below and in the creeks though.
Keep posting your finds and good luck also.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
A spring that flows all year without freezing is a good place to check.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If if you need a new hunting buddy that will buy all the beer, food, and gas I'm your man.

Sounds like a site we got into back around 1986. The guy told us it had been in pasture for 70+ years and he turned it 16 inches deep. We found over 300 good Points between the three of us and I had around 110 or more myself. I had to take my shirt off and make a pouch to carry things we found so much. That was in a one day hunt. I found well over 1000 pieces in that spot that year. Hope your site produces like that for you.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If if you need a new hunting buddy that will buy all the beer, food, and gas I'm your man.

Sounds like a site we got into back around 1986. The guy told us it had been in pasture for 70+ years and he turned it 16 inches deep. We found over 300 good Points between the three of us and I had around 110 or more myself. I had to take my shirt off and make a pouch to carry things we found so much. That was in a one day hunt. I found well over 1000 pieces in that spot that year. Hope your site produces like that for you.

I do not want to hi jack this great thread. But to be honest I would take everyone on here if I could after the second rain, lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a neat thing to be able to find them on your own property like that. I see lots of Savannah Rivers in that mix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread