Did I find a scraper? Photo-heavy post

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Went out hunting with a new friend the other day in Maryland, and I picked this up. My question is, 1, is it a scraper? And 2, if so, how do you know? My main question is, how do you REALLY know? I’m really struggling to see what you see. I question why it couldn’t just be an old chunk of quartz that broke open.

Also, I’m posting a photo of a possible nutting stone. My questions would apply to this, as well. I’m getting a lot of great information from everybody, but the more I seem to ask, the more things I keep picking up on that will help me clarify what’s an artifact and what’s not.

Thanks all!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456555.494291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456567.809171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456583.483126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456597.909681.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456608.612549.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456623.002863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456633.203158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456647.753475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456666.438815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456677.465894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517456688.389858.jpg

Upvote 0

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say just broke piece of quartz.... But not a 100% sure, if it was it was a crude one.... When I find quartz pieces there usually really smooth and have a glossy look.... Also your points and tools will either be uniface or biface- uniface being flat on one side and biface has a worked edge from both sides like a knife... But I'm far from an expert just know what I've learned from folks on here... And I know nothing about stone tools... Was there any for sure artifacts found there before?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it’s a core instead of a scraper it’s hard to capture it in a pic but when held in the light can you see small percussion flaking? It almost looks like a bunch of small half circle shapes I’ll see if I can get a pic of what I’m trying to explain. The second piece I would have picked up mostly due to atleast 75% of hammer stones and pestles I have found are the same material. I’m guessing it was found in a field and those are plow marks.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say just broke piece of quartz.... But not a 100% sure, if it was it was a crude one.... When I find quartz pieces there usually really smooth and have a glossy look.... Also your points and tools will either be uniface or biface- uniface being flat on one side and biface has a worked edge from both sides like a knife... But I'm far from an expert just know what I've learned from folks on here... And I know nothing about stone tools... Was there any for sure artifacts found there before?

Thank you! Yes, many tools and other artifacts have been found on this field. I took them home just in case :)

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it’s a core instead of a scraper it’s hard to capture it in a pic but when held in the light can you see small percussion flaking? It almost looks like a bunch of small half circle shapes I’ll see if I can get a pic of what I’m trying to explain. The second piece I would have picked up mostly due to atleast 75% of hammer stones and pestles I have found are the same material. I’m guessing it was found in a field and those are plow marks.

I’ll have to take a closer look to identify flaking under a light. I checked without a good light source on it, so maybe I’ll find some flaking if I look extra close.

Do you think the potential hammer stone was used? It has something in the middle of it (as seen in the photo) but it’s not deep at all, and could be anything.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing on either says artifact that I see, the round rock has plow strikes on it which is what most likely caused the damage you mention.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so too. Thank you all very much.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to ask then its natural

I used to think that was true, but I’m still fairly new to the game and I almost gave up several artifacts before by using that logic. Also, quartz seems to be the primary choice of stone where I’m from, and I’m gathering that it can be sometimes difficult to ID flaking and things like that.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think that was true, but I’m still fairly new to the game and I almost gave up several artifacts before by using that logic. Also, quartz seems to be the primary choice of stone where I’m from, and I’m gathering that it can be sometimes difficult to ID flaking and things like that.
Quartz hardly shows any flaking.... That's mainly what I find around here.. I'll try to get a couple of pictures . Once you figure what to look for it'll help alot. But you still have to find a good spot

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_5202.JPG

Depends upon the quality of the quartz. Some will show the workmanship other just look like an artifact in shape. Keep after it and look for the knapped flint that have marks like the piece below.

IMG_5203.JPG

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If you have to ask then its natural

if that was supposed to be advice, its bad advice gentleone444.

Nobody knows what everything is right from the start, heck, some of the older hunters are still learning what some of the simple tools are.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing on either says artifact that I see, the round rock has plow strikes on it which is what most likely caused the damage you mention.

Im not sure if all states use the Disc but they will scratch and cut rocks rite in half. But yes I agree with T H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread