Southwest Pottery

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before I begin posting some pics a little about myself and Indian Artifacts--I'm from a part of Arizona referred to as the White Mountains or my extensively, the Colorado Plateau. My home town is built on a ruin and there are two bigger ruins in the immediate vicinity. In the wider area there are ruins everywhere. My dad has at least 10 on his ranch. Pottery is something that is so abundant that nobody really pays any attention to it. Really, everyone I know is more in to the pot rather than the pieces and a remarkable number of pots have been found in that area. I have seen pottery all my life and never picked up a piece until I got married and my husband started picking it up. I now have buckets of the stuff (my family and friends laugh that I pick it up and have told me I'm the only one they know who does). I've actually developed a real interest in it and have been studying it. People don't know what they're missing! (and really, it leaves more for me!)

The same thing goes for any artifact that isn't a point. People don't even recognize that there are other things out there and some have argued with me that the scrapers and such are something. For me it's led to a windfall of scrapers, spokeshaves and the like. It's crazy. Last night I found two buckets of them I'd completely forgotten about. (I hope I'm not comeing off as snide or anything. I know that people search and search for these things without luck).

So, without further ado here's some pottery...

(I hope everyone contributes because I'd love to see what is produced in other parts of the country.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Polychrome Pottery

I'm going to put these under White Mountain Red-Ware which includes Fourmile Polychrome, ShowLow Polychrome and St. Johns Polychrome

20180131_175008.jpg because these pieces are so small I bunched them together so you could get a better idea of of it. Polychrome is always on the outside of the pot. Generally there's a design on the other side, but these one are just plain orange on the other side.

20180131_184310.jpg These bigger pieces are the inside of the pots and...
20180131_184514.jpg The outside. I hope this gives you a better idea of the polychromes.

Attachments

• 20180131_184310.jpg
    20180131_184310.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 20180131_184514.jpg
    20180131_184514.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
OP
OP
D

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Little Colorado White Ware

20180131_232957.jpg by far the most abundant of the decorated pottery. I have tons of it so if you want to see more examples let me know.

OP
OP
D

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red Ware

20180131_191937.jpg All but the bottom two are St. Johns Red Ware. The two darker ones are probably Fourmile Red Ware.

OP
OP
D

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeddito

20180131_192411.jpg Jeddito is the one kind of pottery anyone would bend down and pick up because it's so uncommon in that area. There is only one place where i've found it and I'd never seen an example until I found my first piece. It's Hopi and was made exclusively in Oraibi.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful stuff. But its best left on the ground where it can be appreciated than in a bucket.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buckets of artifacts have lost a lot of their value unless you know exactly where every piece came from.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome examples. You are very well versed in the types. I like that dedication to the hobby.

I have a friend named Ellen who lives in ShowLow. She has birds so that may give you a hint. She has a few pieces from around a lake there.

OP
OP
D

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't expect that they had any value. And as far as leaving them on the ground...I'm pretty sure that cows don't appreciate pottery.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are beautiful and so glad you rescued them! We don't have that type of pottery out here in western NC although I have found a few pieces that are painted light orange but it's rare. To me pottery tells the story of the people that made it. I read somewhere that the people who had the time to decorate it, paint it and the like were a less stressed people, happier and it shows in the elaborate artwork on their pottery. I would frame those pieces if they were in my collection. Thank you so much for sharing your story and the beautiful pottery!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and examples of polychrome. Pottery here is abundant but is from clay with crushed shell or limestone as a medium.
Thank you for taking the time to share your finds and knowledge.
Pottery always seems to have a story to tell and we appreciate yours.
Happy Hunting!

(I hope everyone contributes because I'd love to see what is produced in other parts of the country.)

Yes Ma'am so here are some pieces from Tennessee :)

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread