frozen snot in the field

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I got out early today, but after getting in the field I wondered how smart it was, or not. Every time I turned south tears ran down my face from the cold wind, preventing me from seeing very well.

I tried to get a few rocks out of the ground to look at them, but could not without a lot of effort. Some just would not come out of the ground.

I almost gave up after about 30 minutes but thought to myself "hey its supposed to get about 35 today, above freezing."

found first a archaic bevel with a broken off base.

20180203_095948.jpg
20180203_095948_closeup.jpg

New field, warmed up from 25 to now 28. Much warmer in the wind.

found a nice broken point first after being in the field for about 7 minutes.

20180203_110604.jpg
20180203_110604_closeup.jpg

Five minutes later a small broken point. Not long after that a very nice hafted scraper with a very nice large hardin stiyle base.

20180203_112249.jpg

20180203_112249_closeup.jpg

I almost gave up until another day that would be somewhat warmer. But with old footprints in both fields I had been in, I thought if I am finding relics that would not be overlooked, I have a chance here at finding something which I may not if I come back when it its warmer.

NOBODY I know could have missed the hafted scraper. So maybe, just maybe there is something else, so I braved the cold.

I was thinking it would be nice to find an axe or celt, I have not yet found one in 2018. Then I saw at the bottom of the hill what looked like a pestle. I found two nice pestles last year. See previous posts.

Today I was wondering if I was going to be able to get it out of the ground. Earlier I found some flint flakes, but could not get them out of the ground. Nor could I get most of the field boulders out of the ground.

I took a few photos of the rock before extracting it wondering if its frozen tight. See the photos. To my surprise it came right out. I recon the sun warmed the hilside to close to freezing temps. It came out easily and sure enough, there is the dimple on the bottom.

20180203_121439.jpg
20180203_121441.jpg
20180203_121541.jpg

20180203_121549.jpg

20180203_121546.jpg

See the arrow pointing to the ground dimple area in the photo below.

arrow_2_dimple.jpg

Was out for almost 4 hours in the below freezing cold. Walked a long way. Temps did get up close to 32 by the time I was leaving.

not a bad start to 2018.

I walked along the creek also looking at the banks for relics.

20180203_100955.jpg

Upvote 0

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a nice place to hunt.... Good finds

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, to hear you complain! :tongue3:

2018.02.04 - temperature at 4.20am.JPG

Jeff_of_PA should LOVE this one. :laughing7:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That looked like it was a great outing!

Nothing will come out of the ground up here for a while without some equipment.

Thanks for sparing us any snot pics. It's a common site up here.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A good day and start to the new year. Get yourself a pair of wrap around safety glasses, cheap and keeps the icy wind out of your eyes.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good hunt with great results. I like the Hoof Pestle I have only found 1 so far in that style.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, Dognose. I've had a lot of those days where the tears prevent me from seeing well. Years ago - believe it or not, I took my wife ice-fishing and artifact hunting on our honeymoon, (a bitterly cold December 27th) and she found a beautiful scraper partially exposed but frozen solid into the sandy soil. After pouring our remaining hot chocolate from the thermos onto the surrounding soil but avoiding the scraper, (I didn't want to take a chance of having the hot liquid cracking the stone), it still wouldn't budge. I then applied some body temperature liquid, (yeah, I peed on it) and that did the trick. From then on I always brought an extra thermos of hot water but the scenario was never replayed.
You've got some real beauties there!
HH
dts

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It definitely was a good start to the year.

I have ski googles I normally wear when out in this sort of temperature.

I too have peed on a number of items. I wear the Bass Pro Shops GORE-TEX Rain Bibs for Men and serious boots. I was not cold at all but it can be challenging to whip it out in the cold wind with the coat and zippers.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too have peed on a number of items. I wear the Bass Pro Shops GORE-TEX Rain Bibs for Men and serious boots. I was not cold at all but it can be challenging to whip it out in the cold wind with the coat and zippers.

I wear Real Tree pants that are insulated and waterproof it helps to keep everything below the waist warm and even wet they dry off quick

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

As you can probably imagine, I didn't whip anything out, I sort of dug around to find the reluctant appendage LOL
dts

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty good finds for one field definitely a good spot.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
That is the third pestle from the field in the last 14 years.

If you read any of my past post, I often find more than one hard stone relic on the day I will find one. This is a rare day I only found one. However I did look around the vicinity where this was found. In addition I looked on the upper part of the rise where this may have moved down from over the years of plowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread