Indian stone tools>

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
My father found these over 60 yrs. ago in Greenwood Lake, NY. There are 3 arrowheads and 3 scrapers. I would like to know if they are worth selling and what they're worth. The large scraper on the right is interesting. Very smooth type of rock and looks to me like it has a fossil of some kind...feather....ribs....running along it's length??? I wish I could find out what kind of rock it is but not sure where to start. I saw one website that charges 25$ each piece for an appraisal. Can't afford 150$ for all 6.

I sure would appreciate any input!!!
Thanks!!!! SAM_0941.JPG

Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about artifact prices but pretty nice collection. It would be helpful if you posted individual pics of the pieces. Those aren't arrowheads and those two aren't scrapers, I don't think. That piece on the right is indeed interesting. Post some more pics and the guys on here can ID them for you.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice artifacts, save your money I'm sure they are authentic. The large flint pieces are most likely knives and the hard stone celts were well used. I have no idea what the big flat paddle looking thing is. I bet someone here does. Nice to see real artifacts with a known providence. Lot of rocks on this site that should have been left where they lay! As for what their worth, not enough to sell them if my father found them. Thanks for sharing. ☺

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pieces....maybe the big one is shell? A scraper or burnisher, maybe used for scraping hair on people, like an ancient shaving set?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
image_tmp.jpg
C and D are either a celt or adz.

E could be a elk or deer scapula ground to use a tool. the patina over the years, or the minerals in the ground were absorbed into it changing it to the current shades

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net:hello: like it was said the 2 items to the left or blades, the item in the back looks to be a scraper/multi tool. The 2 items to the left of the pen looks to be celts and the item to the right could be a small hoe. JMO. Better photos at different angles of each item would help. Thanks for posting. !!!!!!!!!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice artifacts you have. More photos would help. Is item "D" a little concave or recessed on the top side as shown in the photo, or am I just seeing things? If it is ground down to be cupped on the top it may have been a gouge re-purposed into a celt or adze?

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
My father died when I was 10. I'm 67 now and have no one to leave these things to so maybe I can sell them and make a few bucks.

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thanks guys!! Didn't think I'd get so many replies! Any of you heard of IAGA (Indian Artifact Grading Authority)? They will appraise each item for 10$.
I will try to take individual pics of each tool today to show better angles.

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this site from trying to identify artifacts from Greenwood Lake. Sorry that I can't offer any help. Hope you can ID and, if authentic, find a good home for you items. Best wishes.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1546474
C and D are either a celt or adz.

E could be a elk or deer scapula ground to use a tool. the patina over the years, or the minerals in the ground were absorbed into it changing it to the current shades

I noticed item C seems to have a raised up area on its face which could indicate it was a humpback adze, but obviously better closeup photos needed....

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice artifacts you have. More photos would help. Is item "D" a little concave or recessed on the top side as shown in the photo, or am I just seeing things? If it is ground down to be cupped on the top it may have been a gouge re-purposed into a celt or adze?

Not recessed, it's just the angle of pic.

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other

Not really. Item C and D both have flattened thin tips like scrapers.

Just googled...I'm learning. Both C and D are adze's. Rare finds.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If E was a scapula it would be bone of course, but this is very hard brittle stone.

If it's stone, it's most likely a hoe.

A stone with a high degree of a polish like that appears to have, is likely not very brittle.

Adze's rare?..... Probly not as rare as you think.

Is the sharp bit on the adzes straight across, or do they curve?

If straight across they are celts, and not an adze.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
Individual pic's

Sorry, some pic's are doubles...problems inserting.
Pic's of each tool. The ridges on that long one are pretty bumpy. Wish I knew what that is...type of rock or whatever. SAM_0968.JPG SAM_0972.JPG SAM_0971.JPG SAM_0970.JPG SAM_0969.JPG SAM_0958.JPG SAM_0960.JPG SAM_0967.JPG SAM_0957.JPG SAM_0968.JPG SAM_0972.JPG SAM_0971.JPG SAM_0970.JPG SAM_0969.JPG SAM_0958.JPG SAM_0960.JPG SAM_0967.JPG SAM_0957.JPG

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's stone, it's most likely a hoe.

A stone with a high degree of a polish like that appears to have, is likely not very brittle.

Adze's rare?..... Probly not as rare as you think.

Is the sharp bit on the adzes straight across, or do they curve?

If straight across they are celts, and not an adze.

Yes...straight across. Good info...thank you!!!!!!!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
To examine the bit, a head long shot like this would really help. Does the bit from left to right go straight across like this bit or Is it curved? I am suspecting you have a couple celts.

! image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread