Rock Shelter

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
1320's post of the rock shelter, Got off the couch today, got me think of the rock shelter by my cabin in KY.

Here are two photos of a rock shelter behind our cabin.

it appears from me that someone stacked up the rocks.

I have not yet investigated due to when I am there the temp are favorable for snake and critters. I was waiting for a cold day. A lot of snakes in this area. Rattlesnakes and copperheads. In the last 10 years I have personally seen three copperheads (way to close for my comfort) and a few rattlesnakes.

what do you think?

This is from a ways away. See the red arrow
You can see the creek in the photo

ky_overhang.jpg

This is closeup, see how the rocks appear to be stacked? I don't think its natural.
ky_overhang_closup.jpg

Upvote 0

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In California the Indian Shaman would build little rock shelters so they could do there "Vision Quest" are there any petroglyph's in your area ?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely looks man made but no way to guess how long ago or by whom. Maybe just Boy Scouts on a camping trip or a makeshift hunting blind. Any smoke stains on the interior walls or ceiling? It'd be worth excavating a few inches inside if it isn't too dangerous. Keep us posted.
HH
dts

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely look stacked how big is the inside of cave ? I’m sure some of the caves were used for moonshine stills but hopefully you find some artifacts in there

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Am I seeing a white blanket or sheet inside? The rocks appear placed as a wind block, nothing I’ve ever seen accomplished by Native Americans but I wouldn’t rule it out. The dimensions of the shelter are more diagnostic of usage as well as the composition of the floor. Always worth exploring, snakes be damned.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Research, ok. Good idea.

I can assure you this was not constructed by any boy scouts.

What I think you are thinking is a sheet or blanket is actually the sun on the cliff side outside of the shelter area. Looking through it.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Research, ok. Good idea.

I can assure you this was not constructed by any boy scouts.

What I think you are thinking is a sheet or blanket is actually the sun on the cliff side outside of the shelter area. Looking through it.

Boy Scouts are always accompanied by adults..

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I will get in there again when the star align.

In the many years there, I have not seen any boy scouts in the area. Not saying they aren't there, but not not on the bluff.

I was also a boy scout back in the day, we did never did anything like that. In the cave region of that area, the motto is to leave only your footprints. I am sure others abide the same. So the likelyhood of scouts building it is slim, however many log cabins where in the bottoms along the creeks. Shielded by the bluffs from the north winter wind.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny how one over hang will be used and the next identical one will not be. SawMill man idea is the first step for sure. I have found many points along them. Also sifting in the front of them so if you dig it make sure you do not put your pile on an area to dig later. Good rock shelter will give you a life time collection. Good luck
I have seen steps but now wind breaks.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes will move into caves in the winter be careful

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That also could very likely be an Indian Burial site.

Only remains we ever saw was when a fire must have heated the ceiling and it cracked out and fell crushing a guy under it. They left him there and moved to another shelter is my guess. Most shelters were just used during the nut gathering season unless it was low lands near a river. I think they examined the ceilings carefully when camping.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have seen rocks stacked like that under bluffs and it was definetely done by indians the ones I have seen tend to be on the edges or the far ends of the overhang going from the back wall outward like to close off the ends

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be ppl making shine, id definitely dig around in there.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get the nerve up to look inside. Im not so sure I could. Maybe take somebody with you and let them walk inside.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hope you get the nerve up to look inside. Im not so sure I could. Maybe take somebody with you and let them walk inside.

rock, earlier dognose said......."I will get in there again when the star align"

Sounds like he already had the nerve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread