'Incredible' 900-year-old copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
'Incredible' 900-year-old copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain | Fox News

By James Rogers | Fox News

1518556122797.jpg
Close up of barbed antler arrow point with copper end blade shortly after it was removed from the ice. (Government of Yukon photo)

A rare copper arrowhead discovered on a remote Canadian mountaint is almost 900 years old, archaeologists have confirmed.

The arrowhead, which is at the tip of a perfectly preserved antler arrow, was found sticking out of an ice patch in Canada’s Yukon Territory. The find, which was made in 2016 on an unnamed mountain, surprised experts.

“It was found near the top of a snow-capped mountain in South West Yukon,” Yukon Archaeologist Greg Hare told Fox News. “It was an incredible discovery, we really didn’t intend to be on that [ice] patch on that day."

The archaeologists were travelling in two helicopters with a documentary film crew when they noticed caribou on the ice patch they were planning to land on. Instead, the helicopter landed on a small nearby patch of snow where Senior Project Archaeologist Christian Thomas quickly spotted the arrow. “While we were there we thought we would look around and within five minutes Chris found this massive barbed antler point sticking out of the ice patch,” said Hare.

1518556090920.jpg
Close up of massive barbed antler point still entombed in ice. (Government of Yukon photo)

Including the barbed antler and the copper end blade, the arrow is about 11-inches long.

The weapon was sent to the University of Ottawa’s A.E. Lalonde laboratory for radiocarbon dating, where it was found to be about 850 years old.

The discovery, which was made in partnership with the Carcross/Tagish First Nations, is shedding new light on the history of the Canadian Territory.

1518556189501.jpg
Yukon ice patch researchers (left to right - Greg Hare, Nahanni Dynes and Michael Campbell) examining a barbed antler point shortly after its discovery at the edge of a small Yukon ice patch. (Government of Yukon photo)

“This is one of the earliest examples that we have bow and arrow technology in the Yukon and it’s the earliest known example of copper use in Yukon,” Hare said.

Archaeologists have recovered about 250 objects from melting ice patches in Southern Yukon, almost all of which have been bows and arrows or throwing darts.

“The advantage of the ice patch project is that most of what we’re finding has an organic element that lets us radiocarbon date it,” he added. “We will never find things like this in a lowland setting – [the arrow] is only preserved because it has been locked in the ice for basically 1,000 years,” Hare said.

1518556432263.jpg
The ice patch where the arrow was discovered, known locally as "Deuces Wild," seen from the helicopter. (Government of Yukon photo)

“Secrets from the ice,” the CBC documentary on the Yukon ice patches, aired late last year.

The arrow is not the only stunning archaeological find that has been preserved by ice. Last year a reindeer hunter found an 1,100-year-old Viking sword on a remote mountaintop in Southern Norway.

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
00A55BDF-C28C-4F0B-9469-B0D911FB43A7.png

Awesome! Amazing discovery.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beyond cool. It don't get any better than that!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely different.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Those ice finds are cool, there are an amazing number of them coming from remote places near the Artic and high altitude camps in mountain ranges around the world.

It's also fascinating to me that we really only know the stone/metal part of arrowheads and tools that most of us find. That cool bone shaft/harpoon looking edge might have been used on a lot of points and we wouldn't know.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody posted this a few weeks ago but still a good read

I know that one of our members got a Banner on the one he found, but I don't remember seeing this posted. But, one can't see everything. It's just too cool not to post.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps they should not have picked up that surface find, instead leaving it there for future generations? You can get your hand slapped in the SW for it, I'm just saying........OK, got that out of my system, very neat item, along with the "barbed" shaft. Have never seen that before.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps they should not have picked up that surface find, instead leaving it there for future generations? You can get your hand slapped in the SW for it, I'm just saying........OK, got that out of my system, very neat item, along with the "barbed" shaft. Have never seen that before.

In a short span of time the antler portion of piece would deteriorate, I think better to collect piece so future generation can even see it. JMHO

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing that, Deepseeker. Really cool. I am trying to figure out the utility of that thing, though. Shaman piece, perhaps?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing that, Deepseeker. Really cool. I am trying to figure out the utility of that thing, though. Shaman piece, perhaps?

I think maybe the utility of it is that, embedded in the flesh of the prey, that barbed antler shaft could not be pulled out by the prey. Making it more deadly?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

I think it's a foreshaft, so technically a dart point versus an arrow point as mentioned in the article. (Google Eskimo Spear and you'll see how this could look.)

Historic harpoons, spears and atlatl darts used by Artic groups (Inuit, Eskimo, Yupik in Siberia, etc.) almost always have a compound, or multi-piece dart. There is a point (the copper point) mounted to a foreshaft (the bone piece with barbs) and a long shaft that is the body of the dart. The thought is that it was extremely difficult to replace a shaft, so their compound dart was designed to deliver the point and the foreshaft and then drop off where the body of the dart could be recovered by the hunter. They probably carried multiple points and foreshafts, but probably only a few long shafts. It makes sense as well, as you look at the picture of that landscape you don't see a lot of long strait trees there to make spear from...

In a way it's a similar to a modern rifle. The lead bullet is disposable when compared to the brass casing and the rifle itself.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a short span of time the antler portion of piece would deteriorate, I think better to collect piece so future generation can even see it. JMHO

I was just being a tiny bit sarcastic, I was seen just picking up an arrow head one time, and you would of thought I'd just robbed a bank and beat the manager.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I think it's a foreshaft, so technically a dart point versus an arrow point as mentioned in the article. (Google Eskimo Spear and you'll see how this could look.)

Historic harpoons, spears and atlatl darts used by Artic groups (Inuit, Eskimo, Yupik in Siberia, etc.) almost always have a compound, or multi-piece dart. There is a point (the copper point) mounted to a foreshaft (the bone piece with barbs) and a long shaft that is the body of the dart. The thought is that it was extremely difficult to replace a shaft, so their compound dart was designed to deliver the point and the foreshaft and then drop off where the body of the dart could be recovered by the hunter. They probably carried multiple points and foreshafts, but probably only a few long shafts. It makes sense as well, as you look at the picture of that landscape you don't see a lot of long strait trees there to make spear from...

In a way it's a similar to a modern rifle. The lead bullet is disposable when compared to the brass casing and the rifle itself.

Are the barbs on the fore shaft an aid to limit penetration? I can't imagine that even with the hardest of throws that maybe two barbs might penetrate. A number of factors would come into play to determine depth of penetration. I'm inclined to say that the barbs wouldn't be necessary to ensure a lethal hit given the mass of the point. If the barbs did in fact penetrate, retrieval of the point and fore shaft would have to pushed or cut out. I want to believe that the entire assembly would pass through, that would be the most effective use of power, energy, time, materials, etc., not to mention...one heck of a blood trail. Interesting piece of technology without a doubt.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I read this story and posted it here last month. I would think there could be more examples like it still preserved under the ice?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Are the barbs on the fore shaft an aid to limit penetration? I can't imagine that even with the hardest of throws that maybe two barbs might penetrate. A number of factors would come into play to determine depth of penetration. I'm inclined to say that the barbs wouldn't be necessary to ensure a lethal hit given the mass of the point. If the barbs did in fact penetrate, retrieval of the point and fore shaft would have to pushed or cut out. I want to believe that the entire assembly would pass through, that would be the most effective use of power, energy, time, materials, etc., not to mention...one heck of a blood trail. Interesting piece of technology without a doubt.

Good observation, I hadn't really thought of that.

You see them more on whales and fish spears, where they are going into I assume softer flesh/blubber, but caribou spears often have the same barbs.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread