Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Incredible 900-year-old copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13997 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

'Incredible' 900-year-old copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain

'Incredible' 900-year-old copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain | Fox News

By James Rogers | Fox News

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1518556122797.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	1550351
    Close up of barbed antler arrow point with copper end blade shortly after it was removed from the ice. (Government of Yukon photo)

A rare copper arrowhead discovered on a remote Canadian mountaint is almost 900 years old, archaeologists have confirmed.

The arrowhead, which is at the tip of a perfectly preserved antler arrow, was found sticking out of an ice patch in Canada’s Yukon Territory. The find, which was made in 2016 on an unnamed mountain, surprised experts.

“It was found near the top of a snow-capped mountain in South West Yukon,” Yukon Archaeologist Greg Hare told Fox News. “It was an incredible discovery, we really didn’t intend to be on that [ice] patch on that day."

The archaeologists were travelling in two helicopters with a documentary film crew when they noticed caribou on the ice patch they were planning to land on. Instead, the helicopter landed on a small nearby patch of snow where Senior Project Archaeologist Christian Thomas quickly spotted the arrow. “While we were there we thought we would look around and within five minutes Chris found this massive barbed antler point sticking out of the ice patch,” said Hare.

Name:	1518556090920.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	1550354
    Close up of massive barbed antler point still entombed in ice. (Government of Yukon photo)

Including the barbed antler and the copper end blade, the arrow is about 11-inches long.

The weapon was sent to the University of Ottawa’s A.E. Lalonde laboratory for radiocarbon dating, where it was found to be about 850 years old.

The discovery, which was made in partnership with the Carcross/Tagish First Nations, is shedding new light on the history of the Canadian Territory.

Name:	1518556189501.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1550355
    Yukon ice patch researchers (left to right - Greg Hare, Nahanni Dynes and Michael Campbell) examining a barbed antler point shortly after its discovery at the edge of a small Yukon ice patch. (Government of Yukon photo)

“This is one of the earliest examples that we have bow and arrow technology in the Yukon and it’s the earliest known example of copper use in Yukon,” Hare said.

Archaeologists have recovered about 250 objects from melting ice patches in Southern Yukon, almost all of which have been bows and arrows or throwing darts.

“The advantage of the ice patch project is that most of what we’re finding has an organic element that lets us radiocarbon date it,” he added. “We will never find things like this in a lowland setting – [the arrow] is only preserved because it has been locked in the ice for basically 1,000 years,” Hare said.

Name:	1518556432263.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1550356
    The ice patch where the arrow was discovered, known locally as "Deuces Wild," seen from the helicopter. (Government of Yukon photo)

“Secrets from the ice,” the CBC documentary on the Yukon ice patches, aired late last year.

The arrow is not the only stunning archaeological find that has been preserved by ice. Last year a reindeer hunter found an 1,100-year-old Viking sword on a remote mountaintop in Southern Norway.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3208 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Name:	00A55BDF-C28C-4F0B-9469-B0D911FB43A7.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	1550363

Awesome! Amazing discovery.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2017
    Currently Ringgold, Georgia, Formerly Vaudreuil, Quebec
    Garrett AT Pro & ProPointer AT
    531 times
    Documenting Properties with Civil War History
    Great Article, Thanks for Posting!!!
    ...helping to free the environment from lead contamination one bullet at a time!!!

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2080 times
    Beyond cool. It don't get any better than that!

us
    May 2014
    Eastern Shore Maryland
    1477 times
    Somebody posted this a few weeks ago but still a good read
    I would rather see an authentic broken scraper posted than a G-10 Artifake!

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    5641 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Definitely different.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Jun 2009
    Florida & Hong Kong
    1106 times
    Those ice finds are cool, there are an amazing number of them coming from remote places near the Artic and high altitude camps in mountain ranges around the world.

It's also fascinating to me that we really only know the stone/metal part of arrowheads and tools that most of us find. That cool bone shaft/harpoon looking edge might have been used on a lot of points and we wouldn't know.
    DeepseekerADS and 1320 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow86 View Post
    Somebody posted this a few weeks ago but still a good read
    I know that one of our members got a Banner on the one he found, but I don't remember seeing this posted. But, one can't see everything. It's just too cool not to post.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

us
    Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    326 times
    That thing is pretty bad ass looking!

us
    I collect Artifacts and Vintage Collectibles and Rocks.

Aug 2012
    South
    Coin Finder
    8017 times
    Very neat
    Personal finds were on private property which I have permission to hunt.
    Best bug repellent I have ever used bugband.net check it out.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1831 times
    Perhaps they should not have picked up that surface find, instead leaving it there for future generations? You can get your hand slapped in the SW for it, I'm just saying........OK, got that out of my system, very neat item, along with the "barbed" shaft. Have never seen that before.

us
    Jan 2010
    Eastern oregon
    571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Perhaps they should not have picked up that surface find, instead leaving it there for future generations? You can get your hand slapped in the SW for it, I'm just saying........OK, got that out of my system, very neat item, along with the "barbed" shaft. Have never seen that before.
    In a short span of time the antler portion of piece would deteriorate, I think better to collect piece so future generation can even see it. JMHO
    DeepseekerADS and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    1482 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for sharing that, Deepseeker. Really cool. I am trying to figure out the utility of that thing, though. Shaman piece, perhaps?
    DeepseekerADS and 1320 like this.

"You pretend to pay us, we pretend to work." --- Former Soviet Citizen

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    13997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, Deepseeker. Really cool. I am trying to figure out the utility of that thing, though. Shaman piece, perhaps?
    I think maybe the utility of it is that, embedded in the flesh of the prey, that barbed antler shaft could not be pulled out by the prey. Making it more deadly?
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jun 2009
    Florida & Hong Kong
    1106 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I think it's a foreshaft, so technically a dart point versus an arrow point as mentioned in the article. (Google Eskimo Spear and you'll see how this could look.)

Historic harpoons, spears and atlatl darts used by Artic groups (Inuit, Eskimo, Yupik in Siberia, etc.) almost always have a compound, or multi-piece dart. There is a point (the copper point) mounted to a foreshaft (the bone piece with barbs) and a long shaft that is the body of the dart. The thought is that it was extremely difficult to replace a shaft, so their compound dart was designed to deliver the point and the foreshaft and then drop off where the body of the dart could be recovered by the hunter. They probably carried multiple points and foreshafts, but probably only a few long shafts. It makes sense as well, as you look at the picture of that landscape you don't see a lot of long strait trees there to make spear from...

In a way it's a similar to a modern rifle. The lead bullet is disposable when compared to the brass casing and the rifle itself.
    Last edited by joshuaream; Feb 16, 2018 at 01:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links