Real stone tool

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock 30 years ago when I was 5 years old in my front yard. I brought it in to my mom and said look at this pretty rock I found you. My mother held on to it all this time and just gave it back to me yesterday. It was found in northern California. Any information on what it was used for would be awesome. IMG_20180219_204307799.jpg IMG_20180219_204302829.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very cool find. I think GaRebel nailed it.:thumb_up:

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, makes me wonder what kind of things it was used to cut or chop. It is pretty heavy, solid hard granite. Kinda small for a wood axe? Idk... I bet it would be an awesome coconut cracker...we don't have wild coconut trees in northern California lol

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It was used for cutting wood. Would have opened a coconut too.
If the groove goes all the way around, it’s called a full groove axe and they say they are an older type.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was used for cutting wood. Would have opened a coconut too.
If the groove goes all the way around, it’s called a full groove axe and they say they are an older type.
Thank you Quito. The groove does go all the way around. Do you have any idea about how old?

nmtreasure

Feb 16, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome full grooved axe! This is a bucket list item for myself.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ol MOM. Glad she saved that for you,pretty good axe. Did she know what it was?
Well she knew it was an old stone tool of some sort. Have no idea of any value or age? Not that I would ever try to sell it. It would be cool to know how old it might be.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow amazing find (30 years ago lol). Definitely a bucket list item for me

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Awesome little tool.

You might try researching "grooved adze" in California or the county where you found it. It's certainly an ancient tool, but I believe some of the Native American groups out there were using them into the 1700s, when they had moved out of style east of the Rockies thousands of years prior to that.

Joshua

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions