Hammer/Grinding stone?

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in a big rock pile that was pushed by a backhoe. Don’t think the dings are from machinery though. Stone is very round and worn smooth. Opinions? Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382378.103008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382408.962343.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382424.491210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382453.203869.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382549.282802.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382633.491517.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382647.764047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520382677.492685.jpg

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely explore that rock pile.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe. Doesn't seem to have a lot of use wear...but maybe a little. But definitely has the shape of hammer stones I find. The ones I find do have edges with obvious battering.

OP
OP
Wandermore91

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe. Doesn't seem to have a lot of use wear...but maybe a little. But definitely has the shape of hammer stones I find. The ones I find do have edges with obvious battering.

It’s not quite spherical it’s more flattened.. But symmetrical. What caught my eye was the smooth texture compared to the surrounding rocks.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an item to be an artifact it has to be shaped or worked by man. It will have pecking or polishing and there is usually no doubt. You rock shows none of that but it is a nice shape. They could have used it as a natural rock but unless you find it in context with artifacts you will never know. Rocks from all over are different and they used what was available. Here are two in various stages of work and pecking found with other artifacts. Hope this helps.

IMG_5236.JPG

OP
OP
Wandermore91

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
For an item to be an artifact it has to be shaped or worked by man. It will have pecking or polishing and there is usually no doubt. You rock shows none of that but it is a nice shape. They could have used it as a natural rock but unless you find it in context with artifacts you will never know. Rocks from all over are different and they used what was available. Here are two in various stages of work and pecking found with other artifacts. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1560200

You don’t think this rock displays any pecking or wear? I tried to show detail by posting it in three different kinds of light..I know what you’re saying, but looking at your examples I don’t think the textures are too far off

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find any flint/chert debitage around that rock?

OP
OP
Wandermore91

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you find any flint/chert debitage around that rock?

That’s what kind of sucks about this is it was mixed with dirt and it was obviously a large pile of everything that was displaced from idk where.. assuming they were clearing the surrounding field of debris and I found the dump pile. I did find a flake of slate in the same pile but this was the only significant find. I plan to go back and look more, things could be buried. This rock/dirt pile was about 10’ high and wider than it was tall .. to give you an idea. I climbed it to grab this.

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the context is everything for something like this ..... if I found that identical rock in the fields where I find points than I wouldn’t think twice about it being an artifact but if I found the same stone in a creek or a long the river I prob would have just discarded it as natural . From the pics it does look like it’s been pecked or used to crush things but very hard to verify without holding it and I have found some very similar to that maybe even same material also I have a few that do not have polish. I’ll try and find the one I was talking about and take some pics . I don’t have nearly as much knowledge as some people on here so see what some of the others with much more experience than me say . But in either case keep at it you will find a nice one soon enough

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If someone/something was chasing me I would pick that there stone to throw at said predator. Who knows? Nice river cobble in my mind and you could probably have a geologist tell you where the outcropping is. Tnmountains, can you show us some more pictures? The one in the background shows more usage than the foreground. I'm not saying it isn't just want to learn

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be vague and confuse you here. Sometimes you just cannot know with certainty and be sure. But I (if it were me) would still explore that rock pile and the surrounding area if this stone CAME FROM THIS GENERAL AREA. If it is a site, you should see/find evidence that it is with other findings. Good luck to you!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused. So do you guys rule this an artifact or not? lol

I really see nothing in your picture that says artifact, with out some kind of signs of being used by man I would say natural rock, I found many round stones like that in Missouri.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your rock is a glacial cobble. In the 5th photo down, the skin or cortex is broken in a few small spots. I won't say it's absolutely impossible that someone could not have picked it up and hammered it once, but I will go with the consensus opinion, and instead show you some glacial cobbles that were used as hammerstones. Each of these were found in the same corn field, and every one shows battering wear at both ends of the cobbles, though I will just show the wear at one end. Otherwise, the skin or cortex is smooth and unaltered. These are typical examples of glacial cobbles of a suitable shape, and they are usually battered at both ends of the cobble.

After that, I'm going to make a suggestion, because, as you'll see, I think your making a mistake in focus that is very typical for beginners. I'll do that in another comment.....

OK, here is a large quartzite glacial cobble hammerstone, battered at both ends:

IMG_9949.PNG

Battering on one end:

IMG_9936.PNG

Here is another quartzite hammerstone, as seen when found, and battering seen on one end when picked up:

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

A smaller quartzite glacial cobble, and showing battering on one end. Remember, these are all typical in showing battering at both ends:

IMG_9937.PNG

IMG_9938.PNG

A friend found this one in the same field. It's a sandstone cobble, and the surface in first photo shows a sandstone surface that has experienced grinding. Sandstone was often used as a grinding stone, because, after all, it's a kind of natural sandpaper:

IMG_9940.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now, I would like to simply make a suggestion. I notice that, for the most part, in your threads, you are picking up and looking at large rocks, and stones that cannot be knapped or flaked. Yet, for all of us, 95-99% of all the artifacts we find will be flaked stone artifacts. Things like points, knives, scrapers, drills, flake tools, etc. Artifacts made of the toolstones from our locality or region that could be knapped or flaked into the type of tools mentioned. Yet, many beginners seem to spend a lot of time looking at big rocks and for big tools. You did find a nice grooved weight, and hammerstones are common enough, actually, once you learn to recognize them.

That said, only a tiny % of the artifacts any of us find will be large hardstone tools, such as axes, gouges, adzes, pestles, celts, etc., etc., etc. The overwhelming % will be smaller flaked artifacts like those I mentioned, made, not of hardstone, but stones that can be knapped. In your first thread, you showed us quartz and argillite artifacts you found. What you really want to do, therefore, is learn to recognize the types of knappable toolstones found in your region, and find the type of artifacts made of those toolstones. In your region, that means learning to recognize, in agricultural fields, after heavy rains, and with permission, or on shorelines, toolstones such as quartz, argillite, rhyolite, quartzite, hornfels, chert or flint, jasper, and a few others.

You are far better off looking for what constitutes 95+% of what we all find, wherever we hunt: flaked stone artifacts. Eventually, you are likely to find ground stone tools, but they will always constitute a tiny % of your collection. Don't concentrate on large stones at all. Not at first, anyway. Keep your eye out, sure, but focus on what you are far more likely to find, because they are far more common. Flaked stone artifacts.

Here are four site frames. Meaning these are frames, each from a particular site, from RI. All the materials I mentioned above, the varieties of toolstones in other words, can be seen in these frames. What you need to do is familiarize yourself with the type of knappable material used in your region, and then recognize those lithics when you see them on the ground. Don't focus on big rocks at all. Focus on flakes. Where there are flakes, there will be points, etc. These frames show typical New England points, etc. No matter how many years you put in, this will constitute 95+% of what you are going to find....

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9955.jpg

Well, this last one is not a single site frame, but rather stuff from several sites in RI. But all typical styles and lithic materials found in southern New England:

IMG_9954.jpg

americanartifacts33

Jul 11, 2013
St Paul MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firestarter maybe.jpg IMG_4003.jpg IMG_4007.jpg IMG_4007.jpg birdie 1.jpg large tool.jpg tool.jpg
I have a few hammerstones and or grinding stones all found in fields with artifacts here is a picture of some of them. I think the one with the drill holes is a firestarter or something similar to that. All these artificats were found in the same area.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took some photos of some of better Hammerstones and Stone Tools to show someone so I'll share them here as well. As Charl said, the amount of Stone Tools you find is very small compared to Flint pieces.

I have collected for 53 years now, and though I do have quite a few Stone Tools, I have about 10 to 15 times more Flint pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The object in question, in my opinion shows no apparent alteration by man. But keep asking and look for patterns, shapes, features. The notched points are the easy ones to identify.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread