What are they?!

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in my wandering I have happened upon a few of these odd but isolated piles of flakes. I’m obviously used to seeing flakes scattered and everywhere but have always found it interesting when I come across some of these. Anyone have any thoughts on why they are so congregated?

IMG_8268.JPG IMG_8269.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome to the forum!

I believe previous hunters sorted out the good stuff and left the rest, that would be my guess.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum!

I believe previous hunters sorted out the good stuff and left the rest, that would be my guess.

I agree with quito. At first I thought maybe someone was recently making a tool, but even if it was the work of a modern-day knapper, the flakes would be spread out more than what is shown in your photo. That plus the fact that they are all directly atop the ground shows that they were left there fairly recently. They still look to be razor sharp though.
HH
dts

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with Quito, I used to take it all home but now tend to pick up flakes etc. as I walk then deposit the handful in a pile. Figure in doing so I won't keep picking up the same pieces.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Quito, I used to take it all home but now tend to pick up flakes etc. as I walk then deposit the handful in a pile. Figure in doing so I won't keep picking up the same pieces.

Yep I do the same or as I’m walking back to truck I’ll start sorting thru keepers and leave the rest.
On the positive side looks like some great material and let’s you know what to keep an eye out for.
On the other hand If somebody left those nice flakes behind think what they took home ......[emoji15]

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, that can be a common site where folks have been hunting a field. I knew a guy who, when leaving fields he hunted, would toss all flakes out of the field, in tree stands next to the field, whatever, so other hunters would not realize it was a producing field, lol. Don't know if he fooled anyone, but that was one of his techniques for hoping to keep his spots under wraps, so to speak....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen where previous hunters would collect all the flakes in a spot then dumped them in a pile. I always looked through them cause every once in a while they might miss something. If you do flint knapping, it's a good idea to bury your flakes with a modern penny to avoid confusion.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that can be a common site where folks have been hunting a field. I knew a guy who, when leaving fields he hunted, would toss all flakes out of the field, in tree stands next to the field, whatever, so other hunters would not realize it was a producing field, lol. Don't know if he fooled anyone, but that was one of his techniques for hoping to keep his spots under wraps, so to speak....

I do that in some of the sites I hunt consistently. I do it so I don't have to bend over and pick it up numerous times. If it's just a flake then I take it with me and discard it as I leave and at this site I usually dump it along the train tracks.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately I see those flake piles in some fields I hunt .I hate seeing those just to remind you someone else has got in there before you, I have thought they are sometimes left as a sign to the next guy who looks to rub in the fact they beat you to it .

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I see those flake piles in some fields I hunt .I hate seeing those just to remind you someone else has got in there before you, I have thought they are sometimes left as a sign to the next guy who looks to rub in the fact they beat you to it .

I check all my flakes and keep anything that was utilized or just big pieces. Since I pick up most flakes I find, picking them up and setting them aside assures me I don't bend over 5 times for the same piece, considering how much I walk certain fields. Chances are if you are walking a field in 2018 it most likely has been a field for close to 100 years or more, so chances of someone already "beating you to it" seem pretty high to me no matter where you go.
Some guys I know won't walk a field because they know people already have walked it for years or they don't think they will find anything worth keeping, meanwhile I'm in those fields finding artifacts these guys have never seen before. Its all about perspective :laughing7:

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My comment was meant to be taken somewhat in jest captain. I have also have found artifacts in spite of the footprints and flint piles, but that doesn't mean I like seeing them out ahead of me as I walk.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't take your comment overly serious. Saw your comment and figured I would give a reason as to why I do it, which I could have probably done in my first comment.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do it to plus I do it so nobody will find the campsite if they happen to walk by and see the true spot. If I was the poster I wouldnt bother with the spot he found that and go to the other side of the field. imo its a wild goose chase to hunt in that spot stay in the area but not in there.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well yeah! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread