New

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20180322_080338348_HDR.jpg IMG_20180322_080315391_HDR.jpg IMG_20180322_080315391_HDR.jpg IMG_20180322_080303460_HDR.jpg l

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the question or what are we supposedly looking at? It doesn't do much to post a picture with no reference or info on what was posted.

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this in a field? Looks like possible older plow dings, but I’m not as educated as most on here. Maybe they will shed more light. From the few field walks I’ve done though, and plow-eaten rocks I’ve passed, that is my best guess. It might be a hammerstone but the long digs in it seem like they were chunked out by a blade and not so much by repeated battering on other stones, which wouldn’t look quite that way.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know I had to ask or say anything you aren't forced to view my thread.

You make a post in artifact forum and put no context with it as to what your posting. As moderator I read as many posts as possible and as moderator I move threads to different forums that are posted in the wrong forum which is the reason I asked you "What is the question or what are we supposedly looking at? It doesn't do much to post a picture with no reference or info on what was posted".

By the way once you hit enter it becomes TreasureNet's thread.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
So, what is this grooved stone? Is there a better angle you could show this from?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Doesn't mean you have to reply or does it?

Ummm, while he doesn't have to reply, Joshua is one of the best you can get an accurate reply from around here.

You can usually take what he has to say to the bank, therefor you would be better served getting along with him.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you notice the difference in patina between the grooves, and the rest of the rock? The grooves look fresher. That's why Wandermore91 suggested the grooves were plow scars.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Ummm, while he doesn't have to reply, Joshua is one of the best you can get an accurate reply from around here.

You can usually take what he has to say to the bank, therefor you would be better served getting along with him.

I'm not trying to not get along with anyone. And I agree that some of the marks are newer but not all of them. And I've never seen a plow run a straight groove roughly the size of a pencil 3/4 the way around a rock.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to not get along with anyone. And I agree that some of the marks are newer but not all of them. And I've never seen a plow run a straight groove roughly the size of a pencil 3/4 the way around a rock.

Maybe you can show us the ends of your rock so we can see if it was used a a pounding rock. I do know one thing it isnt a face rock like some think when they 1st start hunting artifacts. Focus more on the flaked rocks like scrapers and points then after you get that mastered move onto hardstone pieces.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a whole lot like a plough mark to me, but you haven't told us what you think it is.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is just wanting to help you.You have posted in an open forum and every member has the right to reply. Looks like plow drag to me. Was it in a ploughed field? I can see why you might thing it was grooved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread