4.4 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Wish I could help, but I don’t know of any people here that are very knowledgeable about basketry. Mainly stone, bone, and a few pottery artifacts are discussed or shown here.

I have a few baskets myself that I would like to learn more about, and I’ve never even thought about asking here. And I have been here quite a while now.

I hope someone chimes in and that I am wrong.

Geradot

May 29, 2015
Kamcha
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to answer your question, you need to know the region of the find.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
will it hold water?....a good basket from a people that made, and more importantly, used baskets should be able to hold water.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Wish I could help, but I don’t know of any people here that are very knowledgeable about basketry. Mainly stone, bone, and a few pottery artifacts are discussed or shown here.

I have a few baskets myself that I would like to learn more about, and I’ve never even thought about asking here. And I have been here quite a while now.

I hope someone chimes in and that I am wrong.

I agree, it's a surprisingly different hobby and set of collectors.

From what little I have seen, it looks very colorful. You'll see some colorful recent baskets, but the ones worth money are usually older and I don't recall seeing any that colorful. A lot of African or Asian baskets are vibrantly colored. Very well could be wrong and it's an amazing example of something rare, but it doesn't look like what I have seen.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the photos but the weaving methods used don't look like the typical coiled construction used by most North American tribes. That being said, the photo just isn't enough for a proper ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread