768.3 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a chipping tool also. I find bone stuff where it's been dislodged from the dirt when it's been sealed up. Doesn't take long to disintegrate when exposed though.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting , I don’t know enough about bone artifacts to help but good eye I’m sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime in

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, and I do find and own a lot of Bone Tools, it looks like just a piece of water worn bone to me. Not seeing the polish or sharpened tip you would normally see on these Tools.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you can see what I mean here's some pictures of some of my Bone Tools.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    818.7 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
C

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Grim I thought you would know I wasn't sure thanks for looking at it!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a drilled pendant ? I’d say you have too many bones ... I’ll take them off your hands for you [emoji51]

Thst piece is actually a Pendant in the making. If you look closely you can see a line where they were cutting it to reduce the size.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    750.4 KB · Views: 111

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What area on the Scioto? I used to search along it in southern Franklin Co. & a lot in Pickaway. I liked walking the fields where a creek ran into the Scioto. I have everything I found and all my brothers stuff as well. The farmers were nice and we would rabbit & pheasant hunt too. Last time I stopped to look was in the 90's home visiting my mother. When I walked out of the field there was a State patrol parked behind my rental car. She made me wait for the local sheriff to come with a drug dog & did the OK sniff test. Treated me like a criminal but times had changed. I was going off old tapes from the 60's & early 70's where no one cared.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Scioto county and the first tray was found just below Lucasville Ohio. The lower tray is from Butler county Ohio.

It's even worse now. Getting permission is next to impossible unless it is family or someone you know really well and even that doesn't always help. I lost an entire 5 mile stretch of fields that I hunted since I was a young boy. I found my first Point in these fields when I was 6 in 1965. Last year the farmer who leases and farms it all talked all of the owners into stopping all hunting. They will now call the sheriff and give you tickets. I know several who have gotten them. Unfortunately it's a different world now. Way to many sue happy people so landowners don't want you on their property for fear you will sue them if you get hurt.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Scioto county and the first tray was found just below Lucasville Ohio. The lower tray is from Butler county Ohio.

It's even worse now. Getting permission is next to impossible unless it is family or someone you know really well and even that doesn't always help. I lost an entire 5 mile stretch of fields that I hunted since I was a young boy. I found my first Point in these fields when I was 6 in 1965. Last year the farmer who leases and farms it all talked all of the owners into stopping all hunting. They will now call the sheriff and give you tickets. I know several who have gotten them. Unfortunately it's a different world now. Way to many sue happy people so landowners don't want you on their property for fear you will sue them if you get hurt.

That sucks .... nothing like the memory’s of your first find and than not being able to go back hopefully it changes owners again and you can go back

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks .... nothing like the memory’s of your first find and than not being able to go back hopefully it changes owners again and you can go back

I drive by this spot all the time and it sucks I can't get in there anymore. This spot gave up a lot of nice Serrated Points.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of farmers now just lease the land to corporate farms and those people don't want anyone wandering on the land. Times have changed for sure.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A lot of farmers now just lease the land to corporate farms and those people don't want anyone wandering on the land. Times have changed for sure.

Glad i am where I am.

It’s Easy to get permission, and there are lots of places to field and creek hunt.

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad i am where I am.

It’s Easy to get permission, and there are lots of places to field and creek hunt.

This is why I like rivers. No one owns navigable water - although some like to think they do. The biggest sadness for me is all the development - people are bulldozing the banks and installing seawall. No more eroding and washing out of artifacts when this happens. I lost my best spot due to this several years ago. My first time there I found 17 points in 30 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread