Need some help on this one

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a Clovis to me, but I thought I'd let everyone weigh in. Found in an early Archaic/transitional Paleo site. Thanks!

IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3156.JPG
IMG_3157.JPG

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks Clovis , I hope it is that’s one good looking point , what’s the story on it ? Surface find ? Digging ?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure wash it and send it to me then I will know

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure is one i would of loved to pick up,looks more clovis than redstone though,but id would think the tip would be more rounded for clovis,could have been picked up and reworked thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is with the time frame. Clovis would have been at the upper end of the era for the points I've found at the site.
So far, Dalton, Pine Tree, Lost Lake, Kirk and Big Sandy's have been the only points found there, with Big Sandy's and Kirks being the most abundant. All of these date, from the oldest, about 10,000 years to about 8,000 years BP.
Clovis may have overlapped, but it would be at the earliest dates for all of these other points. I know that's just the model, and they could be much older, but I don't want to claim Clovis unless it's fairly concrete.
It gives me another excuse to keep looking!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The only problem is with the time frame. Clovis would have been at the upper end of the era for the points I've found at the site.
So far, Dalton, Pine Tree, Lost Lake, Kirk and Big Sandy's have been the only points found there, with Big Sandy's and Kirks being the most abundant. All of these date, from the oldest, about 10,000 years to about 8,000 years BP.
Clovis may have overlapped, but it would be at the earliest dates for all of these other points. I know that's just the model, and they could be much older, but I don't want to claim Clovis unless it's fairly concrete.
It gives me another excuse to keep looking!

I have one rock shelter that has consistently produced Kirk cluster type tools but every now and then, a Woodland piece shows up in the mix at the same level. Proof positive that the site has been disturbed in the past by man or beast. A ground hog, a cave rat, moles, rabbits...any type of burrowing critter can really screw up the matrix. Previous human activity cannot be ruled out either. When my Dad took me digging, I had my own shovel and a pocket full of Hot Wheels. I used to make some nice tunnel tracks for my fleet...lol.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the very same at first glance (on my cell phone), looks Hopewellish, Greenvilleish, Gunthersville Barbed maybe.

It does have that shape, but it's thicker than the Guntersville types I've found. Also, the age wouldn't fit into this particular site. I had someone look at it who said it was most likely a Dalton variant, which I can see looking at the base.
I think it's just going to go into the box labeled "Unknown".
Thanks for commenting!

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one rock shelter that has consistently produced Kirk cluster type tools but every now and then, a Woodland piece shows up in the mix at the same level. Proof positive that the site has been disturbed in the past by man or beast. A ground hog, a cave rat, moles, rabbits...any type of burrowing critter can really screw up the matrix. Previous human activity cannot be ruled out either. When my Dad took me digging, I had my own shovel and a pocket full of Hot Wheels. I used to make some nice tunnel tracks for my fleet...lol.

That's pretty funny! A lost Hot Wheels mixed in would make for some head-scratching in a hundred years!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
It does have that shape, but it's thicker than the Guntersville types I've found. Also, the age wouldn't fit into this particular site. I had someone look at it who said it was most likely a Dalton variant, which I can see looking at the base.
I think it's just going to go into the box labeled "Unknown".
Thanks for commenting!

Make sure to put something like "exceptional" or "extraordinary" in front of the "Unkown". It's a very nice piece regardless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread