Ancient Ohio Stone artifact?

Mar 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, the other day while walking along an undeveloped valley's secluded creek bed (a small tributary to the West Fork Mill Creek in Hamilton County Cincinnati OHIO) I came across this.
At first I thought it was a large cephalopod or horn coral fossil, but after picking it up and looking closer I realized it is not a fossil but perhaps a "pecked & ground" hardstone artifact (maybe a rolling pestle). Upon doing more research on the ancient history of Hamilton county and Cincinnati I came to discover that this area used to be covered with old mounds and habitats from Hopewell and Adena cultures that for the most part were all removed and built over at the turn of the century.

Im not 100% sure of what the rock is, tho at the top (where it is not refined) I can see a few tiny shell fossils so I presume it is some type of sedimentary rock. Very hard though; I tried to scratch a little at the top (the raw end) and it didn't even make a mark.

If anyone out there has an idea as to what this is, or any info, please let me know. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it!
Thanks
-Dylan
IMG_7506.JPG IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7503.JPG IMG_7501.JPG IMG_7500.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions