Saturday's outing

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these along a river on the Northern Neck of Virginia.

photo (90).JPG

Also these (it was once a Colonial Port)

photo (88).JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the variety you found. I've never found one of those old tavern pipes. Nice finds!

I have also found a Civil War button (Union). It's a great site because of the variety (NA, Colonial, Rev.War & CW) - also, it's spectacularly beautiful and tranquil. I take my kayak in the warmer months.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there recommended books for this type of treasure hunting? My area was also rich with native American history, and I would love to learn how you all do this. These are beautiful!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have found both of those pottery pieces in the PNW on beaches.

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are there recommended books for this type of treasure hunting? My area was also rich with native American history, and I would love to learn how you all do this. These are beautiful!

Do you mean the arrowheads? Yes, there are books. I found it helpful to see the pictures of artifacts when I first started looking. There are also people on YOUTUBE that you can watch searching and finding artifacts in fields and creeks. You can pick up some tips on where to look. Around here just about everything has an Indian name and there were villages all over the place. You can do a search for Indian villages in your area and see what comes up. It's a start.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you mean the arrowheads? Yes, there are books. I found it helpful to see the pictures of artifacts when I first started looking. There are also people on YOUTUBE that you can watch searching and finding artifacts in fields and creeks. You can pick up some tips on where to look. Around here just about everything has an Indian name and there were villages all over the place. You can do a search for Indian villages in your area and see what comes up. It's a start.

Thank you. Any youtube channels in particular you would recommend to watch, or to stay away from?
And yes, I meant the arrow heads. I know they are probably mundane examples to most, but I am intrigued by them. As a complete newbie to the hobby, all of the examples I see are beautiful.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Are you detecting while you Artifact hunt or was the union button an eyeball find?...Just sayin' you may be passing up some really cool finds...(Not like the Finds aren't good enough..I love them):thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you detecting while you Artifact hunt or was the union button an eyeball find?...Just sayin' you may be passing up some really cool finds...(Not like the Finds aren't good enough..I love them):thumbsup:

Eyes only. I've never done metal detecting. The button was resting at the waterline.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Well then I'll come walk with you...lol

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. Any youtube channels in particular you would recommend to watch, or to stay away from?
And yes, I meant the arrow heads. I know they are probably mundane examples to most, but I am intrigued by them. As a complete newbie to the hobby, all of the examples I see are beautiful.

I like to watch Rocks Cousteau. He is in Ohio and finds some beautiful stuff. I like him because he talks about how he finds the arrowheads - what to look for, why certain places are good spots. I just find him interesting. I've seen others but this is the only person I watch. He also metal detects. He has a couple episodes that are "How to" info that he put up within the past few months.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to watch Rocks Cousteau. He is in Ohio and finds some beautiful stuff. I like him because he talks about how he finds the arrowheads - what to look for, why certain places are good spots. I just find him interesting. I've seen others but this is the only person I watch. He also metal detects. He has a couple episodes that are "How to" info that he put up within the past few months.

Thanks! I have been focusing my energy thus far on just watching metal detecting videos when on Youtube. I will give them a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread