Meigs County, Ohio My 1st find

OldCrazyLarry

Greenie
Aug 17, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Classic
I've been out a few times since taking up the hobby and have found a lot of "interesting " rocks which now are part of my driveway, plus a few chiggers, poison ivy, and a bee sting. Yesterday we had a family cookout at Reedsville, Meigs County, Ohio. My brother in law is a retired history teacher and gentleman farmer. After discussing my new found interest in artifacts, we drove down, armed with a rake and a shovel, to check out a very large overhang on his property. After a couple of hours, these were the most significant finds of the afternoon. At least they were what we could truly identify. He stated that as far as he knows no one has ever dug around the area. We're going to go down next week for a little more poking around. This time we're going to build and use a screen sifter. Can anyone identify the arrowhead? The other is a bullet of some sort.

Attachments

• Monday.jpg
    Monday.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Looks to be an Adena & a nice one at that.If it is jet black in color could be Zaleski material.Great find.

OP
OP
OldCrazyLarry

OldCrazyLarry

Greenie
Aug 17, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Classic
Actually, it's a chocolate brown color with streaks of tan. The tan color appears to be of a softer stone material.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bullet is a "mini ball" or commonly refered to as a "3 ringer" it is off Civil War vintage. Probably .58 caliber...d2

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
OldCrazyLarry said:
I've been out a few times since taking up the hobby and have found a lot of "interesting " rocks which now are part of my driveway, plus a few chiggers, poison ivy, and a bee sting. Yesterday we had a family cookout at Reedsville, Meigs County, Ohio. My brother in law is a retired history teacher and gentleman farmer. After discussing my new found interest in artifacts, we drove down, armed with a rake and a shovel, to check out a very large overhang on his property. After a couple of hours, these were the most significant finds of the afternoon. At least they were what we could truly identify. He stated that as far as he knows no one has ever dug around the area. We're going to go down next week for a little more poking around. This time we're going to build and use a screen sifter. Can anyone identify the arrowhead? The other is a bullet of some sort.
Adena and civil war on the bullet What a great start Larry! nice adena too! Jeff

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Good job Larry! Now you're gonna have the fever for both indian artifacts and Civil War artifacts! No hope for you now! Your gonna be like the rest of us! ;D

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get out there with your detector!!
That is a nice point and cool bullet!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread