Dalton or Clovis?

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We’ve had a bunch of rain over the last few weeks and I’ve had some luck but not as much as I’d like. I’ve found 4 brokes and 2 complete, only one of which was any good but this was a pretty good find even though it’s broke. With all of the flooding there was a new rock bar exposed which is always exciting because you never know what kind of new site it might be cutting into..

I am fairly certain that this is a Dalton but part of me wonders if it’s a Clovis point. It’s got a little bit of a flute but the weird thing is that the base isn’t ground at all...

What do you all think?

BG

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523382219.961560.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523382230.959762.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523382251.564152.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523382270.616530.jpg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess but I’d say Dalton but that’s a heart breaker for sure ... maybe the tip will turn up one day

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Dalton to, what a tear jerker.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The resharpening from hafting kind of removes classic Clovis, and the angle of the hafting removes classic Dalton.

There is a local almost hybrid Dalton/Angostura cluster, the associations aren’t really clear but you get some Pike County points named by Perino, and other late paleo early Archaic types that are hard to name. Beveled Agate Basins, Pike County, Northern Beaver Lake, etc.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The resharpening from hafting kind of removes classic Clovis, and the angle of the hafting removes classic Dalton.

There is a local almost hybrid Dalton/Angostura cluster, the associations aren’t really clear but you get some Pike County points named by Perino, and other late paleo early Archaic types that are hard to name. Beveled Agate Basins, Pike County, Northern Beaver Lake, etc.

I guess that’s why I was confused... it doesn’t fit the classic Dalton profile. Thanks!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say it not a Clovis simply by looking at the resharpening style. That's Dalton style resharpening. The base isn't classic Dalton but I think it's a Dalton variant of some sort. Pretty material. What state did you find it in? Gary

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also the possibility that it was made by one culture, many years later picked up and resharpened by another.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it not a Clovis simply by looking at the resharpening style. That's Dalton style resharpening. The base isn't classic Dalton but I think it's a Dalton variant of some sort. Pretty material. What state did you find it in? Gary

Found in Illinois

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also the possibility that it was made by one culture, many years later picked up and resharpened by another.

I have always wondered about that... if I find points what’s to say they didn’t find points that were thousands of years old and just pick them up and reuse?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered about that... if I find points what’s to say they didn’t find points that were thousands of years old and just pick them up and reuse?

I don't have a doubt. Good material was a precious commodity, not to mention saving time. Perfectly okay, as opposed to people picking one up today and rechipping it to hide damage, then selling it to a newbie as an intact point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread