Show me the Clovis!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's mine. 4 1/8" long, made of Normanskill Chert. Found in Northampton, MA. Has been identified as likely the oldest artifact ever found in New England. After I had it drawn and cast, I gave it to the landowner. In the photo is myself, the landowner, and Dr. R.M. Gramly

I've worked with Mike Gramly on digs in IL, KY, and TN. He's an amazing guy. Unlike every other archaeologist out there, Gramly lets the landowners retain possession of the artifacts found. He is truly after the information, not the artifacts. By letting landowners keep the artifacts, he is able to access sites previously unavailable to science. If you have Gramly's book on Cumberlands, the hafted point at the top on the cover is my work. Gary

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! I have Gramly’s books, all good ones. If you see his pre-Cumberland stuff from South America, those are mine.

Yes, indeed. Must be exciting working such a SA site:

http://asaa-persimmonpress.com/doc/Thick-Lanceolate-Points-Chronology.pdf

I am a member of the New England chapter of Gramly's ASAA. Although I have not had the pleasure of working with him at Sugarloaf, I am lucky he lives in Ma., and I can attend the meetings. He so appreciates the contributions amateurs can make, treats us as equals, and I have learned so much about the earliest peoples here in New England. And he thinks outside the box, as with the above essay, something I can appreciate as I enjoy entertaining different perspectives. He was one of several prominent archaeologists working on Paleo studies in my region to identify one of my finds as a true miniature fluted point.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
A gift from one the finest in the field. I guess Folsom counts? 15240986345161073887840.jpg
Found in Texas many years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread