Show me the Clovis!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the only two complete ones I have personally found.

I fixed the pictures. Not sure why they loaded like that.

Heres some info on these. I was home for lunch when I posted then and was out of time.

The smaller one I found near Haverhill Ohio in Scioto county Ohio. It is ground very nice on one side and the other side is damaged. It's only fluted on one side and is pretty much exhausted.

The bigger one I found on the Bonzo farm in Lawrence county Ohio. I had never hunted this particular field and because of backwater blocking my way to the Hopewell Village I was trying to get to I went and walked this field and found this Clovis and one other point. I hunted if several times after that and never found another point, just a few pieces of Flint. This is fluted on both sides and heavily ground on both sides. It's made from a variety of Coshocton Flint. I had a great in situ of it but lost it in a computer crash.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    742.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had one to show but I dont

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim nice one , did you post a second ? I only saw the one.
I haven’t been lucky enough to find one I’d say it’s probably the top item on my bucket list and in my opinion the prettiest type of point made.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim nice one , did you post a second ? I only saw the one.
I haven’t been lucky enough to find one I’d say it’s probably the top item on my bucket list and in my opinion the prettiest type of point made.

I see 5 pictures in my post of two different Clovis Points. What do you see?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've been lucky enough to find a lot of Clovis tools, broken points, bifaces, flakes, etc. I found one nice Clovis point in Indiana when I was a kid, and like a dope, I sold it when I was a kid. Proving to be harder to find it a second time to buy it back.

Here are a couple of well known archaeologists looking at a frame of my Clovis material. (Southern most and Eastern most Clovis site in the world.)

Clovis.jpg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been lucky enough to find a lot of Clovis tools, broken points, bifaces, flakes, etc. I found one nice Clovis point in Indiana when I was a kid, and like a dope, I sold it when I was a kid. Proving to be harder to find it a second time to buy it back.

Here are a couple of well known archaeologists looking at a frame of my Clovis material. (Southern most and Eastern most Clovis site in the world.)

View attachment 1577600

Have you ever Hunted or found any around smith island in the Chesapeake Bay or the surrounding islands ?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want real ones or reproductions? I'll show you one of each.

This shorty Clovis was found by me in '88. He got his money's worth from this one. It's totally exhausted. Haven't found another whole one since. This point was found on a late archaic site and was probably found by archaic Indians somewhere and brought back to their camp. No other paleo anything on the site. I'd guess the material is KY flint, possibly Sonora.

DSC08929.JPG DSC08930.JPG

Here's a killer repro Clovis. Material is Holland flint from Dubois Co. IN. Reproductions are great learning tools, especially when you learn to make them yourself. Gary

DSC08932.JPG DSC08933.JPG

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1577600

Joshuaream... A lot of what you show in your frame looks like quickly made expedient tools. Were they determined to be of clovis origin by your finding them IN ASSOCIATION WITH clearly clovis points and tools??" Just curious. Thanks for posting.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Joshuaream... A lot of what you show in your frame looks like quickly made expedient tools. Were they determined to be of clovis origin by your finding them IN ASSOCIATION WITH clearly clovis points and tools??" Just curious. Thanks for posting.

That picture isn’t the best at showing the tools, it was about who was in the picture. The site has been written up and referenced several times. Thousands of tools, hundreds of biface fragments, dozens and dozens of broken points, overshots, cores, bladelets, core tabs, platters, channel flakes, etc.

Here are a couple of broken points.

BF684684-B4D1-4A48-822F-41A60CA49C82.jpeg

2C43995A-65E6-43F7-9768-AAAEF986CC68.jpeg

Point broken before fluting, fluting nipple visible.
FA08A5BF-0DF4-4D1A-9533-5AF0B5351005.jpeg

Overshot/Outrepasse flake tool.
140BAED7-D0E3-47CC-B1F8-3B7908821B31.jpeg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Have you ever Hunted or found any around smith island in the Chesapeake Bay or the surrounding islands ?

No, but I got to see some of the really great pieces that Dennis Stanford has documented from there. Amazing snapshot of history captured by a couple of very observant collectors.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my Paleo assemblage from my general area. All of the Tools and two of the Points came from the same site which has produced 5 Clovis Points that I know of. The others are from surrounding areas in Scioto and Lawrence counties Ohio.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    925.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    979.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    999.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    844.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    944.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    945.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    914.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    841.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    928.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    972.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    858.1 KB · Views: 102

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture isn’t the best at showing the tools, it was about who was in the picture. The site has been written up and referenced several times. Thousands of tools, hundreds of biface fragments, dozens and dozens of broken points, overshots, cores, bladelets, core tabs, platters, channel flakes, etc.

Here are a couple of broken points.

View attachment 1578162

View attachment 1578163

Point broken before fluting, fluting nipple visible.
View attachment 1578164

Overshot/Outrepasse flake tool.
View attachment 1578165

Yes. I recognize Dennis Stanford in the pictures, have read some of his books, and watched his presentations. But my question is did they conclude that the some of the tools were clovis (not archaic or later) simply because they were found in association with the clovis points? Is there something specific about the flaking, shape, material, etc that led the archeologists to call them clovis tools even if they didn't find any clovis points?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you find a site with Clovis material on the surface but no material from a later culture, then it's probably a pure Clovis site and you can assume all the tools are paleo. Or, you dig a site that is well stratified and reach a level that is paleo you can assume everything from that strata is paleo. Gary

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure the site Josuha is referring to is in South America.

I think Venezuela. And the other person in Joshua's photo is Bruce Bradley. So the two authors of Across Atlantic Ice, and leading proponents of the Solutrean hypothesis.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yep, the very northern most point of South America. It's not new, but still "new-ish" is the idea of Clovis around the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico basin. Basically Florida, Texas Coast, Yucatan, Costa Rica, Panama, & Venezuela have similar Clovis sites, and given a better understanding of sea levels, there was a lot of open savannah land out on the continental shelf and a density of megafauna that would have likely attracted early Americans.

This site, and the points pictured have been documented and referenced numerous times in journals and publications. Some of the items are with Mike Waters, Stanford and Bradley have casts of many of the artifacts.

The picture was just to show some artifacts and archaeologists, not divert the thread. I know there are other members here who can post up their clovis points.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yes. I recognize Dennis Stanford in the pictures, have read some of his books, and watched his presentations. But my question is did they conclude that the some of the tools were clovis (not archaic or later) simply because they were found in association with the clovis points? Is there something specific about the flaking, shape, material, etc that led the archeologists to call them clovis tools even if they didn't find any clovis points?

On this particular site, aside from one long bladelet that Bradley said wasn't Clovis technology, everything else fits a very specific pattern of a Clovis quarry site. The site is on the side of a hill in the desert, and I believe that it's all related to the same group of people who visited the area to quarry stone and replenish tools. Lots of broken bifaces, fluting failures, heavily used and discarded tools, overshot flakes, core set ups, etc.

To answer your bigger question, yes there are a lot of archaeologists comfortable identifying Clovis workmanship without seeing a finished point. The way they made and maintained cores is very unique. Their use of overshots isn't unique, but the size and frequency of controlled overshots is rather unique. The way they set up platforms and some of their flake mechanics can be diagnostic when combined with other traits.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Solutrian theory is bogus and I'll tell you why. The Solutrians had the bow and arrow. The got it from N. Africa. If they had the bow and arrow, why didn't they bring it with them to the new world? Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread