Need help with this piece

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have gotten some new permissions recently and man have they been paying off. I've been meaning to post up all my finds but this one has me curious. I was at one of my new spots tonight after work found a few points and knives and then this guy shows up. It appears to me to be flint ridge flint. Which the quarry site is over 100 miles from me but we find it here often. It's basically uniface but has edgework all the way around. Any thoughts are appreciated. IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0914.JPG

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say it's a discarded biface. Pitched due to the inclusion. It would never make a finished point. Indians never wasted time on dead ends. In a flint poor area, it would have been made into *something*. Gary

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like a uni-face piece that has had the edge touched up/ re-sharpened a bit to me.

OP
OP
N

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say it's a discarded biface. Pitched due to the inclusion. It would never make a finished point. Indians never wasted time on dead ends. In a flint poor area, it would have been made into *something*. Gary

Thanks for your feedback. I believe someone made a couple hundred mile round trip just to carry this home then decide to throw it away? Could have been traded for I suppose maybe by a shady used flint dealer the ancestor to car dealers lol.

OP
OP
N

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0925.JPG A few more pics to show thickness and edge work. I guess my thoughts when I found this were a big preform or quarry blank if that's a thing. If they did just discard it I'm glad they did cuz it's going in one of my frames. It's the largest piece of flint ridge I've ever seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread