Question for you

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400.jpg I am far from an expert but I think that something is off on this Clovis. What say you?

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are a couple of odd things I see. I see a lot of little flakes in the basal area to shape it, they normally aren’t that heavily worked. The blade edges are seem to show some stacking, normaly they hit their bifaces hard enough that they won’t stack right up along the edge, in fact it’s something that most knappers get past relatively quickly.

A softer material could explain those two things, so it could be real, but I’d keep on walking if I saw it in an antique store.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple of odd things I see. I see a lot of little flakes in the basal area to shape it, they normally aren’t that heavily worked. The blade edges are seem to show some stacking, normaly they hit their bifaces hard enough that they won’t stack right up along the edge, in fact it’s something that most knappers get past relatively quickly.

A softer material could explain those two things, so it could be real, but I’d keep on walking if I saw it in an antique store.

Agreed

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the patina goes it is hard to tell just from a photo. Like the others have said there is to much work on the base area and the failed flute could have been redone because there is enough stone left on that side to set up a nipple for the strike. For early man it would not haft that well, but I'm looking at a photo. If it was offered to me for sell by the photo's alone I would pass.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
in case you have doubts about the advice, you should know that you are talking to folk that can actually MAKE these types of points...skillfully too.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought patina and color looks odd but I’m far from qualified to make that call , what’s the story on it ?
No real story, I have a friend who sends me links to artifacts for sale asking my opinion. I thought the flaking was off. Thanks for everyone's input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread