Native American artifact with right angle.

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in north Georgia. I found two other examples on this forum which led me to believe it is some type of tool.

I'm on my phone so I can't load pictures. Here's a link to my post on facebook:

Any idea?

metal_detector.gif
Opened them up so others wouldn't have to jump over to Facebook...
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

8.jpg 5.jpg

Here is a direct link to the post that has two similar objects:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/511016-cape-cod-indian-stone-tools-arrowheads.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but there is no evidence whatsoever of that stone ever being altered or utilized by man. It is 100% natural.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tool5.jpg

It looks awfully similar to these two...

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two also look natural about the only reason I could see anybody keeping them is if they are made from soapstone. You can’t always go off google images there’s a lot of junk people post and claim it’s a rare artifact and than even sell the same thing on eBay and take advantage of people.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a rock that had a crack. Then the rock broke at a 90° angle to the first crack a few inches in, giving you the 90° corner. Gary

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture is from this forum. That's how I found this place.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the one thing you should ask yourself is..if it was a tool, what was it used for? It should have an obvious purpose. After you answer that ask...does it show any signs of wear? Old time tools have new day counter parts that function the same.

a tent

Apr 15, 2018
Tempe, Arid-Zone A
Detector(s) used
'Hand of God' brand left and right eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it's a broken or perhaps unfinished (possibly because it broke in the process) spear-head or similar projectile/tool. A brief google search will turn up thousands of images of almost identical objects. Not to mention the fact that I have found several myself in suburban environments, sometimes while not even looking for artifacts. some have clear tool marks around the highly unnatural right angle fashioned in the stone. So unless these projectile shaped rocks are being formed in identical fashion all over the world by some fascinating process through which nature produces its only known object to be found in various locations and of varying materials and size but the exact same specific dimensions and overall shape....I'm gonna have to cast my vote for 'Artifact' and say, "good find, Sir!"...well, maybe not 'good' find, but how about "an event qualified by its outcome to be labeled as a mediocre but still legitimate archaeological find"....has a nice ring to it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the right angle is a natural fracture for certain types of stone, the fact that you are seeing them all over suggests that it is not only natural but common. this particular stone is not of a type to be used for projectile points.

....it is not an effigy either...don't go there please

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's a broken or perhaps unfinished (possibly because it broke in the process) spear-head or similar projectile/tool. A brief google search will turn up thousands of images of almost identical objects. Not to mention the fact that I have found several myself in suburban environments, sometimes while not even looking for artifacts. some have clear tool marks around the highly unnatural right angle fashioned in the stone. So unless these projectile shaped rocks are being formed in identical fashion all over the world by some fascinating process through which nature produces its only known object to be found in various locations and of varying materials and size but the exact same specific dimensions and overall shape....I'm gonna have to cast my vote for 'Artifact' and say, "good find, Sir!"...well, maybe not 'good' find, but how about "an event qualified by its outcome to be labeled as a mediocre but still legitimate archaeological find"....has a nice ring to it.

First, welcome aboard. We are happy to have you with us.

Second, how long have you collected or studied American artifacts? Just curious because you are completely wrong on your assertion that is any type of artifact and it is definitely not any type of "Spearhead". I suggest you do some research on this site and others to see what an actual artifact or Point would look like and how they are manufactured.

You should also maybe research some geology sites to see that fracturing like that is very common among certain types of rock.

Bottom line is, that is not, has never been, and in no way whatsoever resembles any known artifacts.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would second what Grim had to say. First, welcome to this forum. You are certainly entitled to any opinion you would like to hold to or entertain. However, it's clear to experienced collectors that in this instance you are mistaken, and it does sound like it's due to a lack of adequate experience with real artifacts. You have come to a good place to learn, however.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but it is a natural rock not an artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread