Native American Carved Stone?

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is erosion could someone please explain the intricacy and symmetry? I’ve shown this rock to a couple of people who both said it looked like it was carved, and possibly a representation of lightning or deer antlers. Either way, I found this rock at a site where I know they were present. I have grooved fishing weights from the same area. I believe this is some sort of rock art, if it didn’t serve a functional purpose. I am ready for the influx of “no artifact, natural rock” and “just erosion” but please consider other options here. The bottom of this stone looks like it may have an eroded look to it but the opposite side looks chipped away. Regardless both sides have a “spine” where the details seem to stem off from. If it is natural it is the most unusual product of nature I’ve probably ever seen. The rock is about a foot long and a few inches wide. Any input appreciated on this, looking for someone who knows rocks more than artifacts.. Thank you!
View attachment 1578216
View attachment 1578217
View attachment 1578218
View attachment 1578219
View attachment 1578220

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Speaking of symetry and intricity think of a crystal and how easily Mother Nature form them.

imho what you see is material that is harder than the material surrounding it, and it erodes at a slower rate.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The rock itself appears to be sandstone. My guess is the higher sections are cemented by quartz grains, which resist weathering very well, and the lower portions are cemented together by a less resistant cementing mineral. So you end up with what quito is talking about, differential weathering....

http://www.jsjgeology.net/Differential-weathering-and-erosion.htm

Geomorphology_Weathering

IMG_0423.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread