After the rain

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some points, knives and tools after the heavy rain we had on Sunday. A mixture of early Archaic and late Archaic.
What looks like an oval stone is actually a polished fossilized shell. It was buried on top of the small greenstone celt. Things like that are more interesting to me than typical artifacts. Someone obviously thought it was pretty cool a few thousand years ago.

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are cool artifacts indeed Flatlander, from a fellow Georgian. Congrat's

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you killed it , really cool material with the stripes / bands running thru it

For some reason that particular stone is prevalent at that site. There are very few natural rocks around other than iron rocks, so I assume they traded for a large amount of that material. We uncovered what we think is their manufacturing site yesterday as we found two cores that were about the size of footballs, along with dozens of broken points and tools. It could be a trash pit, but there are a few whole artifacts as well. If that's the case, one Indian's trash is a white man's treasure!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason that particular stone is prevalent at that site. There are very few natural rocks around other than iron rocks, so I assume they traded for a large amount of that material. We uncovered what we think is their manufacturing site yesterday as we found two cores that were about the size of footballs, along with dozens of broken points and tools. It could be a trash pit, but there are a few whole artifacts as well. If that's the case, one Indian's trash is a white man's treasure!

Is it a type of banded slate or flint?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Very Nice!!! I only found brokes today...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a type of banded slate or flint?

It's a flint, and it must have held some significance. While we may find tools, knives and points created from other materials that are crude or poorly made, it is rare to find an artifact made from this particular flint that isn't well made. We also found a cache of 13 of them that all had snapped bases and ears. So, something was going on with that particular type of stone, but I can only speculate as to what it might have been.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you post a close up of that particular stone? I'm always interested in new raw material types. Do you think it's related to your normal coastal plains flint and local? Gary

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 29 pieces? You must not have been looking hard!:laughing7: I haven't found 29 in the last three years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions