Flute?

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a field. Would you consider this a flute or just a regular reduction flake? If not a flute, why not and what’s the difference between this and a flute? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524694993.750920.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524695010.413431.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524695021.233286.jpg

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...i need to do some research on Indian artifacts. I was expecting a long tube with holes in it.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...i need to do some research on Indian artifacts. I was expecting a long tube with holes in it.

Same here. I was like “man that would be a cool find. Wonder if it still works?”

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A flute is a longitudinal scar left on a finished artifact on one or both sides. The flute is one of the last flakes removed. Your piece looks like a biface (preform) that broke during manufacture. Your piece has flake scars, but they are not flutes. Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if it were a brass flute, wood or silver.....

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
A flute is a longitudinal scar left on a finished artifact on one or both sides. The flute is one of the last flakes removed. Your piece looks like a biface (preform) that broke during manufacture. Your piece has flake scars, but they are not flutes. Gary

Good description.

I would add that a flute is an intentional action not a random accident, usually made with a type of platform (nipple) that takes some set up. Occasionally you'll see a much later point, or a much smaller point with a flake that runs up from the base, those are usually just pressure flakes or simple strikes that made something that resembles a flute.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What happens when you blow on it?:laughing7:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen 2 flutes from Ft. Ancient sites in Ohio. They look like they were made from a bird bone. I think Grim has found a few as well. Maybe he will post the pics?

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good description.

I would add that a flute is an intentional action not a random accident, usually made with a type of platform (nipple) that takes some set up. Occasionally you'll see a much later point, or a much smaller point with a flake that runs up from the base, those are usually just pressure flakes or simple strikes that made something that resembles a flute.

Thanks for the explanation guys! This is why I love this forum!

BG

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens when you blow on it?:laughing7:

The weird thing is that if you put it on a warm surface in the sun it actually plays itself.. it sounds like that flute music you hear when you go to a Native American museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread