Indian artifact, what have I found?

A

Audozer

I found this baking in the sun on top of the ground while detecting near a natural spring in gold country California. I have found obsidian arrow heads and a couple partial spear points but this has me intrigued. I've never found one in this area made from this material and I'm curious if this is something other than a spear head due to its shape. It's obviously broken and the way it's broken seems odd in the fact that it looks as if it wouldn't have held its uniform shape due to the thickness at the break. I hope the pics show what I'm trying to describe. I guess the big question is what is it? And what is it made out of? Is there a way to tell its age in some general way? Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058285.719364.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058304.050082.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058324.319612.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058343.288389.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058364.577274.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058389.391298.jpg

Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried posting on the Indian artifacts sub forum? Might get some more exposure.

Cool find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Audozer

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions guys!

OP
OP
A

Audozer

I'd say that's a damn strong argument that's more than likely the case but why do you figure they spent so much time finishing the edge on where you're pointing out that it contacts the staff? Why wouldn't they have spent the effort to give alittle more of a surface to attach the staff like they did with the one pictured here: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525112795.359342.jpg also take a look at where it's broken, it seems that the blades thickness is out of proportion in that area in relation to the other finished edge areas. I guess basically what I'm trying to ask is what are the odds that this thing could be something other than a spear point?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a paleo point, maybe agate basin or firstview, could also be a non-hafted hand knife.

I will move to artifact section to get more opinions from members with artifact knowledge.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the reconstruction of the actual piece that Plug N Play suggested is a good bet. But, rather then hafted on a spear, as he suggested, I think it was more likely a knife. But, that's just my opinion. Still a nice find.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is beautiful. I found one just like it last week but mine has more of it broke off. Been scouring the creek in hopes of finding more of it

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That thing looks good up against your smashed thumb:thumbsup:

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the hunt, the part you found came home on the stick. The other part was left in the rib, spine , or skull that caused the break.

But, hey ... let's eat !

OP
OP
A

Audozer

Thanks everyone, this area I found it in has produced a few broken points but all have been obsidian and pretty obvious what they were. In everyone's opinion, how would I go about determining a time frame or is it pretty much a shot in the dark?

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Nevada City area, where I spend a bit of time, I find obsidian, basalt and jasper pieces...good luck! It’s a great area to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread