Trade point with part of arrow shaft

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an Indian trade point I dug a while back. Didn't know at the time what it was and wondered what that wood was inside of it. Glad I didn't toss that piece. It's kinda shriveled from it's age, but you can see the tip is squished where it was jammed into the trade point. The brass preserved the wood inside there. Found this in a place I think was an early trapper's camp due to a large amount of flat buttons and other related period relics. I always like to imagine a party of Indians firing upon them and that's how this came to be there.

Picture 063.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is very cool! Infinitely more cool with the wood and the context/history.

I can’t remember the museum, but we stopped by this little museum in Texas or NM on a road trip to the Grand Canyon about 40 years ago, and one of the displays was a couple of arrowheads on broken shafts. Some local rancher got shot a couple of times by the Comanche, and managed to escape. He broke off the shafts, and those points stayed in him for a couple of days until the barber pulled them out. Not sure if it was just tourist trap history, but the story stuck with me.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is very cool! Infinitely more cool with the wood and the context/history.

I can’t remember the museum, but we stopped by this little museum in Texas or NM on a road trip to the Grand Canyon about 40 years ago, and one of the displays was a couple of arrowheads on broken shafts. Some local rancher got shot a couple of times by the Comanche, and managed to escape. He broke off the shafts, and those points stayed in him for a couple of days until the barber pulled them out. Not sure if it was just tourist trap history, but the story stuck with me.
That's a remarkable story about those arrowheads on broken shafts. I've always thought it would be amazing to have a complete Indian arrow with the arrowhead still attached onto it. Things like that just make you imagine where they have been or what/who they may have killed.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Neat find, especially with the preserved wood shaft.

In the Midwestern States conical points like yours are called Kaskaskia points. Although trade material is involved these points are not generally called trade points because they are NA made from recycled brass trade items.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat find, especially with the preserved wood shaft.

In the Midwestern States conical points like yours are called Kaskaskia points. Although trade material is involved these points are not generally called trade points because they are NA made from recycled brass trade items.
Thank-you. I didn't know all that about them and very interesting information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions