Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Copper Tool socketed in Antler. Very cool. Thanks for this.

You are welcome, Steve. I actually am aware of a few cases. If I can find them in my extensive notes, I will post them for you.

I vaguely recall an early archaeologist who broke convention and said that certain bits of copper were pressure flaking bits. I believe that these were in the trade area coming down from the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I saw that at. If I can run across it again, I will post it.

Ben

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome, Steve. I actually am aware of a few cases. If I can find them in my extensive notes, I will post them for you.

I vaguely recall an early archaeologist who broke convention and said that certain bits of copper were pressure flaking bits. I believe that these were in the trade area coming down from the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I saw that at. If I can run across it again, I will post it.

Ben

Ah yes, I remember now. Other archaeologists had assumed that they were copper "awls". But, I believe one archaeologist concluded that they were actually bits for pressure flaking. And, this was pretty early in American archaeology. I am sure that more will come back to mind...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm fairly certain the points you show don't go with the tools. The points are part of the Mackinaw cache found north of Bloomington, IL back in the early 1900's. The cache, save for a few points, are now in the IL State Museum in Springfield. None the less, they are incredibly points made by a master knapper. Gary

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly certain the points you show don't go with the tools. The points are part of the Mackinaw cache found north of Bloomington, IL back in the early 1900's. The cache, save for a few points, are now in the IL State Museum in Springfield. None the less, they are incredibly points made by a master knapper. Gary

You are right. I edited the title.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11 Beaver teeth and a raccoon bone....interesting

I have noticed many instances where beaver teeth were included in flintknapping kits. I believe that some knappers have said that they do not work. I also believe others say they are used for making "bird points". It would be interesting to see some demos in this area.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I have noticed many instances where beaver teeth were included in flintknapping kits. I believe that some knappers have said that they do not work. I also believe others say they are used for making "bird points". It would be interesting to see some demos in this area.

I wish I had some beaver teeth...lol. Heck, Beavers use them to cut trees down. Perhaps the teeth were used for incising or scraping shafts. I can see the taper of a beaver tooth being problematic in the knapping process. I can envision a socketed or hafted tooth being useful, make one heck of a back scratcher.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish I had some beaver teeth...lol. Heck, Beavers use them to cut trees down. Perhaps the teeth were used for incising or scraping shafts. I can see the taper of a beaver tooth being problematic in the knapping process. I can envision a socketed or hafted tooth being useful, make one heck of a back scratcher.

Beaver teeth are easy to come by...ya just gotta ask the right people...:occasion14:

Give these folks a shout, and I'd bet dimes to dollars they can
hook you up with a local trapper that'd be happy to sell you
a few tree eaters front choppers.

United Trappers of Kentucky, Inc.

FWIW, I trapped a lot of beaver in my younger years, and while they're easy
to skin, getting those front teeth out is a tough job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread