Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

Been quite a while since I posted on Tnet. Missed it, but haven't been doing much treasure hunting. Used to CRH a bit and posted fairly often in Coins and CRH forums but took a break. Too busy with work and family to post but I have been lurking and checking out some of y'alls' finds. However, that will likely change and hopefully I'll be posting here as a regular again. The boys got metal detectors for Christmas last year and have used them some in the fields around us. I got an F22 for my birthday and will hopefully be using it this summer... once I find some spots. Anyways, i digress.

I'm no longer a Kan-tuck-keean. I'm now north of the river in south-central Indiana. My wife, the two boys and I live in the southwest corner of a 40-acre row-crop farm with a little pond. I help my father-in-law farm (around 700 acres total). I've always looked for native American artifacts, fossils, and odd rocks while walking the fields, since he chisels and disks every year. Never found much. When we were building our house in 2011, I found this and posted it here years ago (2012?), since I thought that it was some sort of tool...
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG

Everyone thought that it was some sort of chopping tool which is cool. Then maybe three years ago, my wife found a spherical stone that really seemed out of place on the small hill above our pond. She called it a "petrified walnut" as a joke, but it was enough out of place to hang onto it (you'll see it later). This past April, my older son and I decided to go arrowhead hunting on the hill above the pond, although I've never had good luck at that, but since the ground was chiseled and the blocks of soil had had some time to melt with the snows and rains, I thought that we might find something. On April 13, I found the one on the left. It was the first intact point that I've ever found. Everything else that I'd found had at least a chip missing. The next day, he found the one on the right, about 20 feet from where I found mine.
IMG_1125.JPG
We started looking a bunch more and we found lots of chips and flakes, but nothing really substantial until after the ground was disked and smoothed out. Thanks for looking. Any help with identification of point types, ages, and materials are welcomed. I'm very much an amateur at this. To be continued...

Upvote 0

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds and looks promising keep at it... if you found those two more are there. Good luck to you and your son. In fields I always like the highest elevation and closest part to a water source including any natural springs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions