Is Your Arrowhead Flint or Chert?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every country boy from the time of the pilgrims until now knows that arrowheads are made of flint. Then you also have the Flint River near Savannah, GA which is full of flint. And you have Flintridge in Ohio. It’s a 9 mi. long ridge, full of flint. What about the Flint Hills of Kansas? Flint laying everywhere. Aren’t all of the above sources of flint?

Well, no, not really. Geologists tell us that flint has very specific properties. Without even one of these, it’s not flint by definition. To be flint, said rock needs to be Cretaceous in age, it has to have formed in chalk beds, it has to have a very high silica content in the upper 90% range, it has to be nodular as opposed to layered or bedded, it has to be black or brown in color and a thin flake has to be translucent.

This description exactly fits the deposits in So. England and Denmark. Also near Haifa Israel. But what about the U.S., do we have any true flint? Yes, but not much. Only two places in the U.S. fill the bill for true flint. These are the White River of SD and Georgetown, TX. So if you picked up an arrowhead from one of those two places, you might have a flint arrowhead. If not, you don’t.

If it’s not flint, what is it? There are many materials that are cryptocrystalline quartz that breaks with a conchoidal fracture. Chert, chalcedony, agate, obsidian, petrified wood, agatized coral, rhyolite, quartz crystal, slate, and probably a few more I can’t think of. So should we stop using the word flint? Absolutely not. It’s a traditional word that really covers all of the “other” arrowhead rocks. When they change the name of the Flint River in GA to “Chert River”, then I’ll think about calling it "chert". The geologists and archaeologists will always use the word “chert” but only us country boys (and April Taylor) get to use “flint”. HaHa!

Interestingly, there is one other place in the U.S. to obtain true English flint. When the U.S. was a British colony ships came “empty” and went back loaded with heavy timber. A ship can’t sail “empty” so they had to add ballast in England before they left. Flint was free and everywhere on the south east coast. They loaded tons of it, sailed to New York and went up the Hudson River and dumped the flint before loading their cargo. One wonders how many times that happened and where did they dump it? I know a guy that recovered some but is tight lipped about the location. Quality flint nodules that have been tested as good go for $3/lb. at the flint knap-ins and rendezvous for gun flint users. A few dollars could be made if you could locate one of those cargo hold dumps in the Hudson. Any treasure hunters in the house? Gary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looked it up the real explanation for points made of English flint in America is they were likely fashioned after the ballast was dumped.

Greg, if you had just read what was written, that's exactly what the point was. Native Americans took advantage of the discarded flint ballast stones. Do you just pick out key words from a post, and create your own message? Is this what being weaned on a cell phone/device, and having it the center of your universe leads to? In the Navy, sorry, another anecdote, when we were about to take an exam, this was written on the chalkboard ( I know, what's a chalk board? ) in 'uuuuge capital letters...R.T.F.Q. Read The F...... Question. That's all you have to do, R.T.F.P.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a good post with informative information yet is gets complicated for no reason. :BangHead:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
He is probably talking about Knife River Flint which is a very glossy, translucent material.

Boy I don’t know grim, that would be hard to get confused. Knife river flint from North Dakota vs., White river South Dakota. The white river crosses much of western South Dakota. Hopefully Gary will clear this up.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, Tnmountains. I'm trying to learn to let it go, but sometimes I can't help it. It's a disease. Can't fix it.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I don’t know grim, that would be hard to get confused. Knife river flint from North Dakota vs., White river South Dakota. The white river crosses much of western South Dakota. Hopefully Gary will clear this up.

It was only Flint I could think of in that area that sounded like his descriptions. Hope he does clear it up m

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was only Flint I could think of in that area that sounded like his descriptions. Hope he does clear it up m

Knife River flint and the White River deposits are different. Knife River "flint" is another flint that is not flint. It is silicified lignite. It was a cattail swamp that was buried, silicified, then eroded out. It's found in Dunn and Mercer Counties of ND. KRF is unforgiving to work but it is some of the toughest, sharpest tool grade material you can get. I've never got my hands on any of the White River nodules nor have I seen any points made from it, only read about it. I'm thinking the deposit might be smaller size nodules. Gary

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
There are several members in the group called the White River Silicates (WRGS). These materials have been assigned a variety of names, including Chadron Formation Chalcedony, Flattop Chalcedony, Scenic Chalcedony and West Horse Creek chert. (American Antiquity, 1993)

I have never seen any of these WRGS lithic sources in the archaeological record referred to as flint.

The two nodules came from the White River drainage near the Nebraska-South Dakota border. This particular material could be mistaken for Knife River Flint from North Dakota, however I have not seen this material in large nodules and its use may have been limited to smaller tools and projectiles.

Attachments

• DSCN6117b.jpg
    DSCN6117b.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN6116c.jpg
    DSCN6116c.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN7914e.jpg
    DSCN7914e.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 45

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks for the great info. I wonder now if some of the South Dakota pieces that I thought were KRF may actually be White River. Very cool.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my South Dakota tray. Not sure if you can get a good enough look at these to tell anything though.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 74

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here are a couple piece’s of the west horse creek chert material I grabbed at a get together where different materials had been brought in a couple years ago.

I wonder if one of the oxbow looking points I sent might not be. One seemed a little off for KRF to me if I remember right

. 260B1A69-A221-4829-BDDA-A48FD6CC6914.jpeg A4B9B11F-3A66-41B1-960D-CA6512103008.jpeg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The two nodules came from the White River drainage near the Nebraska-South Dakota border. This particular material could be mistaken for Knife River Flint from North Dakota, however I have not seen this material in large nodules and its use may have been limited to smaller tools and projectiles.

Great examples 11KBP! I believe it was Woody, but I remember someone talking about White River material before. Seemed a lot of the deposits are those small nodules that often required bipolar reduction which is different enough that if groups didn't use it a lot, they'd often avoid the material when other sources were available. A lot of work to get a 2" piece of chert.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are several members in the group called the White River Silicates (WRGS). These materials have been assigned a variety of names, including Chadron Formation Chalcedony, Flattop Chalcedony, Scenic Chalcedony and West Horse Creek chert. (American Antiquity, 1993)

I have never seen any of these WRGS lithic sources in the archaeological record referred to as flint.

Thanks for the pics of the White River material. I had never seen a piece before, only read about it. D.C. Waldorf is the one who wrote that (some of?) the White River material is true flint. Gary

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many have stuff made from English flint and don’t realize?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of my best points are made of Jasper. I know jasper is considered to be a type of chert. I have had some knappers I know call some of my points "flint", but I always considered them to actually be jasper, or chert, mainly because I have never encountered real flint, and know that it's got different properties compared to jasper. Now I know why I've not encountered it here, it's rare apparently here! Thanks for the info! I know a few that have found musket flints here from trade sites, this makes me want to examine them more closely now. I don't have any hope of finding a musket flint, so I may have to see about acquiring one online.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread