Is Your Arrowhead Flint or Chert?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every country boy from the time of the pilgrims until now knows that arrowheads are made of flint. Then you also have the Flint River near Savannah, GA which is full of flint. And you have Flintridge in Ohio. It’s a 9 mi. long ridge, full of flint. What about the Flint Hills of Kansas? Flint laying everywhere. Aren’t all of the above sources of flint?

Well, no, not really. Geologists tell us that flint has very specific properties. Without even one of these, it’s not flint by definition. To be flint, said rock needs to be Cretaceous in age, it has to have formed in chalk beds, it has to have a very high silica content in the upper 90% range, it has to be nodular as opposed to layered or bedded, it has to be black or brown in color and a thin flake has to be translucent.

This description exactly fits the deposits in So. England and Denmark. Also near Haifa Israel. But what about the U.S., do we have any true flint? Yes, but not much. Only two places in the U.S. fill the bill for true flint. These are the White River of SD and Georgetown, TX. So if you picked up an arrowhead from one of those two places, you might have a flint arrowhead. If not, you don’t.

If it’s not flint, what is it? There are many materials that are cryptocrystalline quartz that breaks with a conchoidal fracture. Chert, chalcedony, agate, obsidian, petrified wood, agatized coral, rhyolite, quartz crystal, slate, and probably a few more I can’t think of. So should we stop using the word flint? Absolutely not. It’s a traditional word that really covers all of the “other” arrowhead rocks. When they change the name of the Flint River in GA to “Chert River”, then I’ll think about calling it "chert". The geologists and archaeologists will always use the word “chert” but only us country boys (and April Taylor) get to use “flint”. HaHa!

Interestingly, there is one other place in the U.S. to obtain true English flint. When the U.S. was a British colony ships came “empty” and went back loaded with heavy timber. A ship can’t sail “empty” so they had to add ballast in England before they left. Flint was free and everywhere on the south east coast. They loaded tons of it, sailed to New York and went up the Hudson River and dumped the flint before loading their cargo. One wonders how many times that happened and where did they dump it? I know a guy that recovered some but is tight lipped about the location. Quality flint nodules that have been tested as good go for $3/lb. at the flint knap-ins and rendezvous for gun flint users. A few dollars could be made if you could locate one of those cargo hold dumps in the Hudson. Any treasure hunters in the house? Gary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great observations, except that the Flint River is nowhere near Savannah, but instead heads up under Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta and empties into the Apalachicola near Bainbridge in the southwest corner of the state.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your explanation on the British flint seems only slightly more likely than pre-Colombian contact.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But flint is also classified as a type of chert as well isn't it? Ha. Great read. I have seen people find chert shaped like gun flint and alas no sparks to be had. I have been busting out a very large rock on one of my roads and it sparks with every hammer blow. I figured it for a type of limestone.It is very crystalized.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your explanation on the British flint seems only slightly more likely than pre-Colombian contact.

There is actually a small article in Archaeology Magazine about this very same thing happening in Australia. They found Arrowpoints there made from English Flint that had been ballast that was dumped after the ship landed. Why couldn't the same thing happen here?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find English flint nodules along the Delaware River in the Philadelphia area... not sure what happened to them over the years because I only have one in my basement now.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

See Greg, there you go again. You have never heard of the merchants dumping ballast stones all up and down the east coast, therefore, it's unbelievable to you. What age did you decide to stop learning anything, ever, again? I'm thinking some time ago. Been to Savannah, Ga? The entire waterfront, and many steep streets up the bluff are paved with ballast stones.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See Greg, there you go again. You have never heard of the merchants dumping ballast stones all up and down the east coast, therefore, it's unbelievable to you. What age did you decide to stop learning anything, ever, again? I'm thinking some time ago. Been to Savannah, Ga? The entire waterfront, and many steep streets up the bluff are paved with ballast stones.

Our river ports and streets are all ballast stone. Belgium ballast/cobble to be exact.It was the first foot print to our city. I used some of the original ballast stones to line my front porch I got river diving.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great observations, except that the Flint River is nowhere near Savannah, but instead heads up under Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta and empties into the Apalachicola near Bainbridge in the southwest corner of the state.

Thanks for the correction on the Flint River. I've never been there but have seen flint from the river. Gary

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is actually a small article in Archaeology Magazine about this very same thing happening in Australia. They found Arrowpoints there made from English Flint that had been ballast that was dumped after the ship landed. Why couldn't the same thing happen here?
I remember seeing a picture of an arrowhead made by Australian Natives out of blue glass they had obtained so these explanations on British flint seem well founded. And yes there are tons of ballast stones paving the streets of old Savannah.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I have learned a lot recently. I’d rather think then learn though. You find an arrowhead in Australia and assume it was made in England you would do the same if you found one in America. There seems to be a lot of pre-recorded messages in your field

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked it up the real explanation for points made of English flint in America is they were likely fashioned after the ballast was dumped.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the correction on the Flint River. I've never been there but have seen flint from the river. Gary

No problems, brother. Holler if you're ever down in middle Georgia.

elora.jpg :wink:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I have learned a lot recently. I’d rather think then learn though. You find an arrowhead in Australia and assume it was made in England you would do the same if you found one in America. There seems to be a lot of pre-recorded messages in your field

ASSUME? I didn't assume anything. This was an small write up in a very well known archaeology magazine so there is no assumption, just the facts from the archaeologists. Also, just where did I say it was "made in England"? I clearly said it was determined to be made by the Aborigines FROM BALLAST DUMPED BY ENGLISH SHIPS. Reading comprehension is key!

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a much larger article on BBC and it still does not do much to clarify. No mention of dating the site at all, or even an attempt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread