Frame of Harrison County Flint Points - all personal finds

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The points in this 12x18 frame are all personal finds over many years.

In the frame there are some nice duckbill scrapers, a nice drill, a clipped wing lost lake, a broken decature, godar, heavy duty, hardin . One in the lower right looks like a sandia type I.

I can remember finding all of these. As far back as 1978 to a few years ago.

I don't find as many Harrison County Flint relics as I did in the years past.

Note that some are darker than others. Some with patina which makes the relic appear a light tan. If broken the color would be much darker.

These are from Indiana and Missouri.

20170619_192327_resized.jpg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds , some killers in there thanks for posting ...... actual artifacts and personal finds ..... seems like it’s a rare thing lately

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been to Harrison Co. many times exploring the flint deposits. I had a local guide that lived in Mauckport and he took me all around. Valley City seemed like "ground zero" for the flint. You're lucky you live in flint heaven. Generally better quality artifacts in your area due to the great quality flint. Gary

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Did you fund any of the Harrison County flint nodules?

In the late 1970's I lived in Pacific Missouri. I moved back here in the early 1980's but drove back to Missouri every month to see my son. Back then Crescent was not heavily populated and my brother in law's grandmother owned a very very large part of the valley there. So when I went back I would camp at a small old abandon farm tucked back in a small valley. The crescent quarries were up up the ridge lines there. These were not all of the quarries as the flint outcropped in many places but the area they flint was mined was in that area.

I am 150 miles from Corydon in Harrison County. I find not only Harrison County but also Flint Ridge, coshocton flint and Upper Mercer from Ohio.

Here is a nice scraper made of Flint Ridge. Its a very nice color.
flint_ridge_scraper1.jpg flint_ridge_scraper2.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you fund any of the Harrison County flint nodules?

In the late 1970's I lived in Pacific Missouri. I moved back here in the early 1980's but drove back to Missouri every month to see my son. Back then Crescent was not heavily populated and my brother in law's grandmother owned a very very large part of the valley there. So when I went back I would camp at a small old abandon farm tucked back in a small valley. The crescent quarries were up up the ridge lines there. These were not all of the quarries as the flint outcropped in many places but the area they flint was mined was in that area.

I am 150 miles from Corydon in Harrison County. I find not only Harrison County but also Flint Ridge, coshocton flint and Upper Mercer from Ohio.

Here is a nice scraper made of Flint Ridge. Its a very nice color.

I found plenty. The guy that took me hunting worked for the Harrison Co. Hiway Dept. plus he hunted arrowheads. He knew where the flint balls were.

Did you know there is a glacial deposit of Flintridge in IN? It's in SE IN. I can't remember the county but there is a juvenile detention center there and the creek running through the place has Flintridge. Maybe you're close enough to check it out. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions