3 POINTS OF INTEREST

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These 3 points were my last great finds of 2017. I think the one is a dalton. I'm not sure on the fat one. I believe the triangular one is a scraper of sort. Please, help me identify these points. Thanks all!

The fat one I dug up in the garden. The other two were flipped.

Fronts
IMG_1245.JPG

Backs
IMG_1244.JPG

I have individual close ups if needed. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
First point seems to be a Smith 7000-4000 BP Middle Archaic
2nd point Graham Cave 9000-5000 BP Early to Middle Archaic
Nice Finds!

OP
OP
F

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Rege. I've never heard of a smith before. I'm going to look into that. The graham cave makes sense I should of known that. I noticed you didn't address the triangular piece. My thoughts were it was hafted and used as a scraper. What's your opinion? Thanks for the reply.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The triangular piece is problematical. Artifacts like these large triangles were mostly used as you suggest scrapers and knives, easily held in the hand, with the advantage of three sharp edges. The two concave sides suggest resharpening after use. Keep at it and find more!

OP
OP
F

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’ve been feeling that need to hunt. It’s been so rainy here lately. I may go hit some fields when it finally moves out. I’m living on 80 acres but have only found a few items that would lead me to believe that Indians inhabited this property. I spoke with a long ago resident of the property who mentioned finding arrowheads by the rock outcropping. This just happens to be the area where I found that evidence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread