Opinions please

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need better pictures of the first piece showing the inside and outside curve on it please. The other is most likely natural erosion.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opposite side and front edge.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian can opener. Seriously, there looks like some fine retouch on the inside edge in the last picture. Would've made a great spokeshave.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian can opener. Seriously, there looks like some fine retouch on the inside edge in the last picture. Would've made a great spokeshave.

I think so too. It looks to be finely worked on that inside edge and if has some polish on it as well.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
best i can see it looks like two holes in the brown piece look drilled, curios to see what the other side looks like.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one looks like a Gut Hook used for opening the stomach cavity of an animal without cutting into the Intestines. Used like a Zipper. Modern Steel versions Still widely used today by hunters.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The inside edge of the hook is very sharp but I understand this can occur with a natural break.
Here is a pic of the backside of the 3 holed rock.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The inside edge of the hook is very sharp but I understand this can occur with a natural break.
Here is a pic of the backside of the 3 holed rock.

there looks to be at least 5 and maybe 7 holes on that rock (eroded remains of holes), so it is natural and not worked.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
didn't we see that obsidian hook a while back? Someone saying it was an effigy?

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't we see that obsidian hook a while back? Someone saying it was an effigy?

I too saw one on the internet that looked very similar. They were calling it a “ bird stone or bird effigy. “ I didn’t believe the other one was and neither do I believe this is. The gentleman who found this had a pretty keen eye or I would have easily said it was a funny shaped rock and tossed it. Was just curious as to what real collectors thought. I appreciate all of your input. Best regards.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like hardened mud or clay with worm holes. I'd bet the "gut hook" was debitage made accidently. I think it would be difficult to make one on purpose. It would be real tough to use it as a gut hook with no handle. Gary

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like hardened mud or clay with worm holes. I'd bet the "gut hook" was debitage made accidently. I think it would be difficult to make one on purpose. It would be real tough to use it as a gut hook with no handle. Gary

Definitely rock, limestone probably, not clay or mud.
Agreed on the gut hook looking item not having a handle. Too sharp and awkward to use without one.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....in some early morning reading, I came across this quote by Dan T Harper. I have know idea who this gentleman is but he was working a site on the Red River in southeastern Ky. “Of all the tools I have found, one of the most interesting are the "rippers." They have a very defined hook/claw-like feature. John Broster believes they were utilized to open the bone to retrieve the marrow. Bone marrow is especially high in protein, and would have been greatly desired by Paleo man.”.
There were some pics of tools with defined hooks “similar” to the one I posted above. His photos did show more signs of fine flaking than the one posted. Interesting theory?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread