Is this an artifact?

fieldsjoe89

Dec 27, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I familiar with points and hard stone artifacts, but I have seen a few pieces posted I have never seen or would even know what it is. Today, I posting this piece I found while creek walking in Virginia (Southwest portion of the state near Tennessee and Kentucky). Both sides appear to have had some flaking, but I'm not entirely sure. Is this thing natural or is it an artifact? Any input would be appreciated.

20180706_143425.jpg 20180706_143428.jpg 20180706_143430.jpg 20180706_143433.jpg 20180706_143437.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like some interesting material.

Pretty sure it’s just natural wear though.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's A unique find.Congrats

OP
OP
F

fieldsjoe89

Dec 27, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it looked more like a spider monkey. But for real, thanks for the input sawmill man. I found it in the creek near a plowed field. The field had a bunch of material, but no points. I thought it was interesting nevertheless.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice find that's a flint hammerstone & the material looks like hornstone or Sonora flint! I like it!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything maybe a piece that had some outer cortex knocked off to see the quality of the material if that is indeed the case than there should be some artifacts near by. Good luck

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hey nice find that's a flint hammerstone & the material looks like hornstone or Sonora flint! I like it!

Choo, thanks for clueing us in!

It doesn’t resemble the hammerstones we find out here at all.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A nodule of ball flint that's had both ends knocked off by mother nature. That piece is way too small for an Indian to have tested for a tool or point. Grind one face flat and polish it and you'll have a neat piece. Gary

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what that is. Unfortunately I'm prohibited from saying out loud. I will tell you in private. And if I could send you a picture in pm I would. I will explain what is being seen and the meaning behind it.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what that is. Unfortunately I'm prohibited from saying out loud. I will tell you in private. And if I could send you a picture in pm I would. I will explain what is being seen and the meaning behind it.

Boogity Boogity Boogity!!

Looks like a Sasquatch to me. lol

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know. Well I shouldn't say never. You might learn it one day. There is hope for you.
Boogity Boogity Boogity!!

Looks like a Sasquatch to me. lol
It's not a Sasquatch. Not ever close. Grime you have probably walked over many things of this system. It's hidden in plain sight and requires more talent than napping a point. Study and and you will gain my respect. But not until then.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know. Well I shouldn't say never. You might learn it one day. There is hope for you. It's not a Sasquatch. Not ever close. Grime you have probably walked over many things of this system. It's hidden in plain sight and requires more talent than napping a point. Study and and you will gain my respect. But not until then.

Thanks, but I'm good.

Grime? lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread